Practicing portrait pictures, need advice on backgrounds

gossamer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, a friend has asked me if I would take a portrait picture for her to use on linkedin, etc. I have a D500 with a 30mm and 24-70mm VRII, and thought I would use them to practice my portrait photography, and maybe even do it as a side thing in the future.

She would like a gray or light gray or neutral background for this. Where can I find a "starters kit" background for doing this? I have a few hundred dollars to spend on this, but was hoping for recommendations on a stand and a versatile background that can be set up outside at a park or something to do this kind of thing.

Would a chroma background work, so I can modify the background color in photoshop afterwards?

I was looking at the various background options at B&H:
Background Materials & Equipment | B&H Photo Video

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Seamless paper would not be good for taking to the park. Not sure why you'd want a background at a park. For this specific shoot, if you have additional (1 or 2) lights, just have her away from the wall and use a light to help you get medium gray or white background.

She would like a gray or light gray or neutral background for this.
You can purchase seamless paper background in any color for not much, but then the support will cost a little more. I think they're mainly for interior use.

Your zoom lens set to 70mm should work nicely.

Got lights? Modifiers?

I use these for out-of-studio work. Seamless paper would NOT, IMO be appropriate for out-of-doors use. If you're not experienced in chroma-key work, I would not start there. A medium gray background which you can "tweak" colour-wise with flash gels. A couple of speedlights, umbrellas and you're done.

I'd be more worried about my lighting than the BG. There shouldn't be that much visible BG in a headshot, and you can easily position yourself outside to get a clean background.

Seamless paper would not be good for taking to the park. Not sure why you'd want a background at a park. For this specific shoot, if you have additional (1 or 2) lights, just have her away from the wall and use a light to help you get medium gray or white background.
I was only referring to the park because there is sufficient space there. I suppose a parking lot would suffice just the same.

There are also lots of other backdrops available on that link I provided, not just paper ones. Clearly paper in a park, or outdoors in general, wouldn't be the best choice.

I'm curious about using light to help get a medium gray or white background. How do I do that?

I use these for out-of-studio work. Seamless paper would NOT, IMO be appropriate for out-of-doors use. If you're not experienced in chroma-key work, I would not start there. A medium gray background which you can "tweak" colour-wise with flash gels. A couple of speedlights, umbrellas and you're done.

The link you provided looks very interesting. How is that supported? Or is it necessary to have someone hold it behind the subject?

Do you have other references to umbrellas and stands you prefer?

Do you think this can be done with just my D500 and my SB700 and a backdrop, or do I really need to produce/simulate a whole studio with umbrellas and multiple speedlights for this?

I'm not completely inexperienced, but advanced lighting is one area where I have the least experience.

I use this magnetic arm on top of a standard light stand to support the background, however a regular reflector support arm, or even a piece of broom stick, some clips and gaff tape will hold it up. All you NEED is a single off-camera speedlight and a single ~32" reflecting umbrella, umbrella-bracket, light-stand and trigger set. As long as you get a decent light stand that will get the light at least 6' off the ground, it doesn't much matter. I use mostly Manfrotto and Speedotron stands, or Mathews C-stands (but they're heavy and awkward).

I'm curious about using light to help get a medium gray or white background. How do I do that?
If you have a background without color (say a medium gray for instance) you can blast it with light, which makes it appear white in the photograph, or if you want black, then keep the light off of it, making the background go to black.

..is it necessary to have someone hold it behind the subject?

You don't want the background to have motion that might show up in the photograph.

Do you think this can be done with just my D500 and my SB700 and a backdrop, or do I really need to produce/simulate a whole studio with umbrellas and multiple speedlights for this?
You can produce some very nice one-light portraits, with manipulation of the light and maybe a reflector.

Check out this book: Light Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting: Fil Hunter, Steven Biver, Paul Fuqua: 9780240812250: Amazon.com: Books

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
neither lens is terrific for portraits.
Get a 50mm f/1.8 (1.4 Sigma ART if you're ballin')
shoot it against any plain wall ..bam.

If you want a light gray backdrop, START with a gray micrtoifiber blanket from one of the big department or big-box stores, like Target, Target has a nice line of gray microfiber blankets...easy to wash, fairly wrinkle-resistant, easy to transport, and can be hung up on a crossbar or playground structure.

As for backlground stand and crossbar kits: There are MANY with 11-foot tall heavy-duty light stands, and 9.5 to 10-foot wide multi-section crossbars...this is ONE THING that the Made in China companies do very well!!! As for a name-brand Made in China backdrop stand-and-crossbar set, look for the Impact brand, they are nice; other brands, or other MIC ones might be lower cost.

To secure a microfiber blanket to the crossbar, you need a couple (at least two!) hardware store "A" clamps...the kind with the metal clamping arms and the red--dipped plastic handles, $1.99 to $2.99 each at Home Depot or other similar big-box hardware and garden center stores.

When you START with gray, it is easy to end up with gray, charcoal, or deep,deep gray or even black background, and this microfiber blanket material is soooo much easier to use outdoors than paper rolls

neither lens is terrific for portraits.
Get a 50mm f/1.8 (1.4 Sigma ART if you're ballin')
shoot it against any plain wall ..bam.
would MUCH rather use the 24-70 at 70mm than a cheapt 50mm 1.8 for portraits.

In addition to @Derrel suggestions above, I've been experimenting with flat sheets from Wally world. Less than $10 bucks for a single, and come in colors. So far they've been working well, after they were washed and ironed. I also picked up this 9 Ft. x 12 Ft. Canvas Drop Cloth you can find 20% off coupons everywhere. My intent is to do this with it Make Yourself A Cheap Distressed Canvas Background or to break out the spray paint and get creative.

Most reactions

Back