Practising my baby photos

Bend The Light

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a lady interested in a freebie shoot of her baby in a few weeks.
I thought I'd practice.
At the moment I have one studio light, and some background sheets, and a couple of things like hats and sheepskin. I had a reflector at baby right, the main light was at 4 o'clock, pointing up and away, with a shoot through behind. I had an old flash gun behind the sheet to blow that (which worked for the most part).

I intend to get some different attire for the baby, and some different coloured blankets/rugs for the baby to settle on.

I appreciate the baby's skin is a little plasticky, but she was a doll to work with. :)
But, for a first attempt with the lights, how have these turned out?

Baby Dolly 2 by Bend The Light, on Flickr

Baby Dolly 1 by Bend The Light, on Flickr

Baby Dolly 3 by Bend The Light, on Flickr

Little do I know about proper studio lighting, but I must say these turned out quite nicely. I definitely see the bit of softness (not as in "soft focus", but as to the chosen colours and lighting) that I like to see with babies.

Her skin is a bit plasticky, no doubt about that, but I believe AT ONCE that this one was a doll to work with. No tears, no impatience, no blinking of the eyes... perfect :D.

My personal favourite is the second.

Nicely done.

the first image looks a little dark under the doll's mouth area. Might just be the doll though

The baby's expressions seem kind of static and forced....you might want to work on being a more-animated photographer, in order to coax some more expressive facial expressions out...just a suggestion...

The baby's expressions seem kind of static and forced....you might want to work on being a more-animated photographer, in order to coax some more expressive facial expressions out...just a suggestion...

I tried to coax her a little, but she was just "rigid"...no response at all!
I even did a little dance and a song...nothing! :lol:

doll is a wee bit scary looking but I do like the poses, #3 with the soft colors is my fav

doll is a wee bit scary looking but I do like the poses, #3 with the soft colors is my fav

Thanks...just waiting for the real thing now. Putting my name out with mums at my daughter's school, and my sister is expecting in April...but that's too far away!

Want to get some practice in! :)

Cheers

Most reactions

Back