Presets

This_guy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
samuel-robbins.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What settings do you recommend for web and print?

At the moment I do:

Web:
Jpeg
sRGB
Quality 100
Long Edge 2,048 pixels
Resolution 72 PPI
Sharpen for screen amount low

Print:
Jpeg
sRGB
Quality 100
Resolution 300 PPI
Sharpen for matte paper amount standard

Your web settings aren't efficient.
Most screen aren't 2048 wide, I never save larger than 1200 wide and 900 high because I want the image to be seen on most screens without scrawling.
Quality above 40 or so is useless on the screen. All the larger quality does is take up space and make viewing slower.
Resolution is irrelevant to either display or printing.

This image is qual 38; it is 203 kb.
At 100% qual, size is ~ 1 meg
testofqual_DSC1958.jpg

Your web settings aren't efficient.
Most screen aren't 2048 wide, I never save larger than 1200 wide and 900 high because I want the image to be seen on most screens without scrawling.
Quality above 40 or so is useless on the screen. All the larger quality does is take up space and make viewing slower.
Resolution is irrelevant to either display or printing.

This image is qual 38; it is 203 kb.
At 100% qual, size is ~ 1 meg
View attachment 116480

I agree, I normally leave my web ready exports at 1200 Long Edge. However, I did not know its better to keep the quality at 40. It seems to make sense though, regarding viewing ability.

By the way beautiful image. The tonal range, exposure and color on this is perfect. May I ask what the image is for? It looks like it has a good story/series concept behind it.

Thanks.
The picture was taken last February and is of a schoolroom in a small town in northern Laos called Muang Khiauw. My buddy and I had travelled out of our way to this town purposefully to take a boat ride down the Nam Ou. The river is shallow and the scenery is really gorgeous.

There is no feeling quite like being in a country so far from one's own and so different. No one except perhaps your travelling partners knows your last name and where you are from. The other travelers are usually a better group, they are there to see the country not to lie on the beaches and drink.

Laos - Northern Loop - 2015 | Night scene

p1093021217-5.jpg

p1089634369-5.jpg

What settings do you recommend for web and print?

At the moment I do:

Web:
Jpeg
sRGB
Quality 100
Long Edge 2,048 pixels
Resolution 72 PPI
Sharpen for screen amount low

Print:
Jpeg
sRGB
Quality 100
Resolution 300 PPI
Sharpen for matte paper amount standard
A couple of notes.

+1 that 2048 is about 2x to long for the long side. Lots of people still use computer displays that are only 800 pixels wide.
Web: JPEG - yes. sRGB - yes.
Quality - On the web you will see no difference between a Quality of 10 and a Quality of 100. Quality affects the files size. A lower Quality makes the file smaller. A smaller file loads faster and uses up less storage space.
Resolution - On the web, and for electronic display, PPI (Pixels Per Inch) is meaningless because there are no inches, only pixels. PPI is print resolution and only applies to prints.
Sharpen - How much you can or can't output sharpen for web/electronic display depends on image content and image quality.

Print:
Color Space: Some print labs can print the broader color gamut the Adobe RGB color space has. Even better, labs that have wide gamut inkjet printers can print photos that the even broader color gamut the ProPhoto RGB color space has.
Resolution - The limiting factors for print resolution is print size, image resolution, and image quality.
Image resolution is the pixel dimensions of the photo to be printed.
Print resolution is the PPI. Image resolution and print resolution (PPI) determine print size.

For example - You have a photo that has image resolution of 3000 x 2000 pixels. At a print resolution of 100 PPI a 3000 x 2000 pixel image will produce a 30" x 20" print. At 200 PPI the same 3000 x 2000 pixel image will become a 15" x 10" print, and at 300 PPI a 10" x 6" print.

Put another way, as prints get larger a point is reached where the PPI has to start decreasing to make the print, and not all images will have sufficient quality to decrease the print resolution.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back