Prettier than my flower pics - would love some c&c (pic heavy)

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My daughter (13) finally agreed to willingly let me take some pics of her, probably because I finally agreed to let her wear make up. I don't take a lot of people pics other than when we're on vacation or family snapshots and I had zero warning that she would want to do this so no time to look at posing. She was not willing to go anywhere but our own small backyard so my backgrounds were limited and I mostly stuck to head and shoulders... ok enough excuses!

We did have what I thought was some pretty great late afternoon light. Here are a few of my favorites and a few of hers. I know there are too many to comment on all but if you have any particular critique or suggestions on one or two that would be much appreciated. I'm hoping to get another shot at this next weekend, maybe even convince her to go to our local park.

SLC_3445a by S Catalano, on Flickr

SLC_3437ab by S Catalano, on Flickr

3. portrait orientation (I could hear Derrel in my head while I was shooting in landscape)
SLC_3435a by S Catalano, on Flickr

4. my daughter loved the sunflare look that is so popular on Instagram. I had absolutely no idea how to edit those.
SLC_3462a by S Catalano, on Flickr

5. the body angle on this one is weird and makes her back look really big but she likes the light in it
SLC_3460a by S Catalano, on Flickr

SLC_3432a by S Catalano, on Flickr

You need a shotgun, a shovel and 40 acres. Good luck! ;)

Hopefully she'll settle down for the camera and realise that the more she co-operates with you the better the results will be.
You've got the kit, she's got the looks. See if she'll work with you on finding poses she'd like to try. :)

Nice set. I like the back light highlights in her hair in #1. It isolates her beauty.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thank you.

Nice set. I like the back light highlights in her hair in #1. It isolates her beauty.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thank you.

You need a shotgun, a shovel and 40 acres. Good luck! ;)

LOL. I know it!
I can loan you the shotgun, send it back after she's married. Just remember, it's body lime dirt lime dirt dirt lime dirt.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Lime dirt lime dirt. Got it!

These are nice, I think you did a fine job.
I'll go with the others - remember the line for Clueless "Anything happens to my daughter, I got a .45 and a shovel, I doubt anybody would miss you."

These are nice, I think you did a fine job.
I'll go with the others - remember the line for Clueless "Anything happens to my daughter, I got a .45 and a shovel, I doubt anybody would miss you."

Thanks. That's a great line and we'll keep it at the ready!

Can anyone recommend a good book or website tutorial on posing? I really only had 1 thing that I could remember when shooting - turn the shoulders so they're not straight on.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Can anyone recommend a good book or website tutorial on posing? I really only had 1 thing that I could remember when shooting - turn the shoulders so they're not straight on.
Some here:

Amazon.com: photography posing guide: Books

and here:

54 Portrait Ideas: free downloadable posing guide | Digital Camera World

Thanks. I appreciate your response but I was really hoping for some specific book or tutorial recommendations... there's a ton of crap out there and since I don't know a thing about it, it's hard to figure out what is good info and what is not.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I always really liked Sue Bryce's posing tutorials, like this one:

There are a couple of posing apps as well. They aren't real helpful for learning purposes, but they're great when you have someone standing in front of you and your mind suddenly goes completely blank...(not that that's EVER happened to me! :/ )

Lovely daughter and nice start IMO. Try to add a bit more light to her face, more like #3. A reflector and or a little fill light will help.

I always really liked Sue Bryce's posing tutorials, like this one:

There are a couple of posing apps as well. They aren't real helpful for learning purposes, but they're great when you have someone standing in front of you and your mind suddenly goes completely blank...(not that that's EVER happened to me! :/ )

Great - thanks for that!

Lovely daughter and nice start IMO. Try to add a bit more light to her face, more like #3. A reflector and or a little fill light will help.

Thank you. Yes, I see what you mean. I do have some white foam boards and should have used them. Now to figure out how to hold the board and take the shot at the same time! I may need to McGuyver some type of reflector holder. I do have a flash but haven't even begun to understand how to use it properly.

Most reactions

Back