Pretty Newbie question but don't want to mess up my new lenses

Well sorry but when someone who is an admitted beginner has gear that alot of hard working pros would kill to get their hands on you should expect to get a reaction. If you come on with a question that sounds like you are asking how to clean said gear expect to get a stronger reaction.

This just smacks of jealousy to me.

Absolutely why I went with the 2.8 :) I can't deal with slow lenses. I never realized how much of a difference it makes. From here on out its 2.8 and faster for me :)

the f4 i found was before i decided to that, and i think thats where i've been heading. i bought the tamron 75-300 because i wanted to experiement with stuff and it was only $120. so why not? turns out it has been one of my most used lenses out in the yard. at the same time though i hated the fact it needed so much light, but something i've been able to work around. by contrast the 50mm 1.8 just amazed me what it could do with ANY light (or lack thereof). when i gave the xsi to the gf (and the 18-55mm with it) i needed to fill that gap.

the tamron 17-50mm 2.8 seemed to be a perfect fit of not super expensive so in the event i didnt use it a lot i wouldnt kick myself (was originally going to get the 17-40L or 24-70L with the 50D) for spending a fortune for something i'd never use. like the 50mm, the tamron 17-50 is just super fantastic in tons of different lighting situations (or again...lack thereof). its image quality is just as good. im totally in love with it, and im really glad i got it.

all that said...i've become addicted to what those two lenses can do, and i'd like any lens i buy from this point forward to be just as capable with light...or lack of. :)

Well sorry but when someone who is an admitted beginner has gear that alot of hard working pros would kill to get their hands on you should expect to get a reaction. If you come on with a question that sounds like you are asking how to clean said gear expect to get a stronger reaction.

Who says I don't take pictures like a pro??? you don't know me or my work, photography isn't about technical details its art. I've figured out technically how to use my camera. So what does experience mean, not much. I've seen some pros out there that take really shi**y pictures. So please stop wasting your time commenting like this. It sounds to me like your a little jealous as well. Even if I sucked its my money and my equipment. Your going completely off the subject at hand. Thanks for wasting mine and everyone elses' time that read your comments....

Money buy's nice gear...not experience.

With this, I looked at your flickr... awesome. Great shots.

Thank you!

These are what I use, which is what we use in my lab on our EXTREMELY expensive microscope lenses.

VWR Lens Cleaning Tissues - Model 52845-009 - Pack of 12 - Model 52845-009

What is this? National TPF be unecessarily unpleasant day?

He had the presence of mind to come ask. Leave the guy alone.

What are you talking about? It was a response to the first person who said "for a guy who is new to photography (according to your sig) you've got some nice gear!!"

I was simply stating that it doesn't matter if you are 'new' to photography. I've seen beginners buy a D700 because they have the money. I meant no disrespect, so I think you need to chill out a little. Seriously it wasn't even offensive...geez. I feel like I'm in middle school and you're the hall monitor.

What are you talking about? It was a response to the first person who said "for a guy who is new to photography (according to your sig) you've got some nice gear!!"

I was simply stating that it doesn't matter if you are 'new' to photography. I've seen beginners buy a D700 because they have the money. I meant no disrespect, so I think you need to chill out a little. Seriously it wasn't even offensive...geez. I feel like I'm in middle school and you're the hall monitor.

Dscience: I have no problem at all with your comment. My comment was pointed towards J I P. Yours was perfectly fine :)

I just don't like how I come here for assistance on something and I get flamed for something not EVEN having to do with it. Thank you to everyone who has helped. I am probably going to the local store to see how much a lens pen is and if 15 or less I will buy one at the store. Otherwise I will order from amazon or BH. Thanks again guys

Cool, I win :)

Make sure you don't touch the brush of the lens pen. The oil will cause dirt to stick to it which can scratch the lens. Other than that they work great. The brush side removes any dirt or dust and the other side erases any smudges.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... sorry. My bad. I totally misunderstood. It wasn't that clear and I just came from another thread where someone was being attacked so I was annoyed.

Very sorry.

Dscience: I have no problem at all with your comment. My comment was pointed towards J I P. Yours was perfectly fine :)

Don't let J I P get under your skin. He's generally ignored by others.

Now, to your concern. I personally try to avoid wiping my lenses with anything at all unless I have no choice. I'll first try to blow away the dirt with a Rocket Blower or, if the dirt is stubborn, canned air. If that doesn't work and I have to wipe, I use Nikon's lens cleaning fluid and tissues.

By the way, DON'T use the canned air on your sensor filter.

I just don't like how I come here for assistance on something and I get flamed for something not EVEN having to do with it. Thank you to everyone who has helped. I am probably going to the local store to see how much a lens pen is and if 15 or less I will buy one at the store. Otherwise I will order from amazon or BH. Thanks again guys

Every internet forum as the same issues. You get answers to your questions, you get comments that are off track that are interesting and you get other comments that are off track and not as interesting.

Honestly, just learn to answer and discuss with the ones who do comment positively and are truly aiming at answering the thread at hand.

Starting a back and forth posting with someone who has a totally off track comment only makes things carry on and will make them comment like that again the future.

Ignore and move on, thats all. Its a slight ego hit, as we all like to stand up for ourselves, but in the wonderful world of online forum posting, pursuing things further is often a losing battle.

And on topic for the thread, I think its been a great thread. I've been shooting for just under a year and still have lots to learn. I've never really explored the cleaning of my lenses, as they aren't all that expensive (other than one), they all have UV filters on, and I clean those filters with microfibre cloths.

Yeah, from jerks like you.

Not to mention, you bitched that he didn't know how to clean lenses, and then you didn't even offer any useful advice to help the guy.

I agree on the "dirty lens" thing, a couple of mine have had some serious dust and stuff over the filter and you can't see it in the pictures. I don't touch them unless I think they're affecting my image because I figure you want to keep stuff off the glass(including cleaning stuff) as much as possible.

This just smacks of jealousy to me.

Unless of course you look at my signature.....

Most reactions

Back