Pretty Newbie question but don't want to mess up my new lenses

C&P from "Forum Rules and Regulations:"

• Lengthy lists of camera gear should be put in your user profile, not in your signature.

Unless of course you look at my signature.....
So?

My bags carry:
Nikon D80
Nikon D300
Nikon D700
Nikkor 20mm f/2.8
Nikkor 35mm f/2.0
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
Nikkor 85mm f/1.8
Nikkor 105mm f/2.8
Nikkor 300mm f/4.0
Nikkor 18-55mm (variable)
Nikkor 55-200mm (variable)
Nikkor 12-24mm f/4.0
Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8
Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8
Nikkor TC17
Canon EOS 500N (28-80mm & 80-200mm)

I picked up some useful information from this thread. The fact that the OP was smart enough to ask questions about the proper way to care for his equipment speaks volumes to me. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Your snide comments are.... well, useless, pointless and a nuisance. So yeah, I'm thinking jealousy too.

Cool, I win :)

Make sure you don't touch the brush of the lens pen. The oil will cause dirt to stick to it which can scratch the lens. Other than that they work great. The brush side removes any dirt or dust and the other side erases any smudges.

Josh: thanks for the help, I was looking at those pictures wondering what the "nonbrush" side actually did. It looked like a suction cup to me lol.

Cool, I win :)

Make sure you don't touch the brush of the lens pen. The oil will cause dirt to stick to it which can scratch the lens. Other than that they work great. The brush side removes any dirt or dust and the other side erases any smudges.

Josh: thanks for the help, I was looking at those pictures wondering what the "nonbrush" side actually did. It looked like a suction cup to me lol.

It's similar to microfiber so it works after you use the other side to get off any dirt/debris. It basically does look like a fuzzy suction cup. :lol:

The one thing I'm a little concerned about is that if my microfiber got dirty pretty quickly... this smaller surface area pen will get dirty even faster. Can you clean the pen?

The one thing I'm a little concerned about is that if my microfiber got dirty pretty quickly... this smaller surface area pen will get dirty even faster. Can you clean the pen?

Just make sure you use the brush side to remove anything. The little pen tip is only for smudges that the brush can't get off.

Well sorry but when someone who is an admitted beginner has gear that alot of hard working pros would kill to get their hands on you should expect to get a reaction. If you come on with a question that sounds like you are asking how to clean said gear expect to get a stronger reaction.

This just smacks of jealousy to me.

Retroactive jealousy?

:lol:

So?

My bags carry:
Nikon D80
Nikon D300
Nikon D700
Nikkor 20mm f/2.8
Nikkor 35mm f/2.0
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
Nikkor 85mm f/1.8
Nikkor 105mm f/2.8
Nikkor 300mm f/4.0
Nikkor 18-55mm (variable)
Nikkor 55-200mm (variable)
Nikkor 12-24mm f/4.0
Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8
Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8
Nikkor TC17
Canon EOS 500N (28-80mm & 80-200mm)

I picked up some useful information from this thread. The fact that the OP was smart enough to ask questions about the proper way to care for his equipment speaks volumes to me. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Your snide comments are.... well, useless, pointless and a nuisance. So yeah, I'm thinking jealousy too.

I'll be happy to help you lighten up your bags:mrgreen:

I never understood why some pros (j.i.p) get mad when beginners by nice equipment...why does it matter? if you have the money and can afford it why WOULDN'T you buy the best you can get? I bought the best I could get and that was a rebel xs. If i could afford a 5d Mark II i would've bought that in a heartbeat. Doesn't make any sense to me. And I'll be first to admit I'm jealous of people with nice equipment, no matter if they're pro or new, but never would I hold it against them. Shortpballer, ignore the dude. People make money so they can buy stuff. Weird concept huh.

I never understood why some pros (j.i.p) get mad when beginners by nice equipment...why does it matter? if you have the money and can afford it why WOULDN'T you buy the best you can get? I bought the best I could get and that was a rebel xs. If i could afford a 5d Mark II i would've bought that in a heartbeat. Doesn't make any sense to me. And I'll be first to admit I'm jealous of people with nice equipment, no matter if they're pro or new, but never would I hold it against them. Shortpballer, ignore the dude. People make money so they can buy stuff. Weird concept huh.

J.I.P. is a pro?

:lmao:

J.I.P. is a pro?

:lmao:

ok, i assumed. he's basically going by the notion that the only way you're allowed to get good equipment is to be a pro who has earned it. i assumed he "earned it"...

What is this? National TPF be unecessarily unpleasant day?

He had the presence of mind to come ask. Leave the guy alone.

What are you talking about? It was a response to the first person who said "for a guy who is new to photography (according to your sig) you've got some nice gear!!"

I was simply stating that it doesn't matter if you are 'new' to photography. I've seen beginners buy a D700 because they have the money. I meant no disrespect, so I think you need to chill out a little. Seriously it wasn't even offensive...geez. I feel like I'm in middle school and you're the hall monitor.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... sorry. My bad. I totally misunderstood. It wasn't that clear and I just came from another thread where someone was being attacked so I was annoyed.

Very sorry.

No worries friend! TPF forever !

:thumbup:

I say if you can afford it, go for it. I am definately a noob and the only shot I ever posted would be considered a snapshot at best... but I worked my a** off in college so I could afford some of the things I want.... and that will soon be some nice gear. Besides just about everyone here says nice glass stays nice for a long time, so why not invest in the good stuff from the beginning rather than replacing cheap stuff later?

I say if you can afford it, go for it. I am definately a noob and the only shot I ever posted would be considered a snapshot at best... but I worked my a** off in college so I could afford some of the things I want.... and that will soon be some nice gear. Besides just about everyone here says nice glass stays nice for a long time, so why not invest in the good stuff from the beginning rather than replacing cheap stuff later?

I'd agree. I've gone through a lot of stuff. And I definitely don't buy my stuff new EVER. I have found everything used on craigslist. And every time I have bought and re-sold a lens I have done it by making a profit. So why not buy a whole bunch play with them and make some money too... anyhow, I went to my local shop today. And the guy there was of NO help at all. I was completely disappointed with George's camera in San Diego. He didn't know what he was talking about. So I'm back to square one. I had brought up the lens pen thing and he said its pointless because it gets dirty after a few lens cleanings... I think I might just buy a blower and a new microfiber along with some lens cleaning solution. The blower to get off all the loose dirt and the microfiber and cleaning solution for the smudges and fingerprints etc.

Most reactions

Back