shortpballer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dossantoslemone.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone,
I just recently came upon a 70-200 2.8 and a 17-55 2.8 . And as you all know these are pretty expensive lenses. So I went to clean the glass on my 17-55 today and I noticed that my microfiber cloth has some dirt on it that doesn't go away from shaking it. Should I wash it. And if so how should I wash it. Or should I just start using the disposable wipes? Let me know what you guys recommend. These lenses are in mint condition. And I want to keep them that way.

i would just get a new cloth. they are really cheap... when not in use, try to keep it stored in a ziplock baggie or something like that, so it stays away from dust and dirt..

for a guy who is new to photography (according to your sig) you've got some nice gear!!

Money buy's nice gear...not experience.

Wow, Just WOW

You know if you really just plunked down $5K+ don't you think you should know how to clean your lenses at this point.

oh i know, and I wasnt at all stating that he must be good since he has all that gear.. i was merely saying that for a newb, he's got some great gear... it was more out of envy than anything...

I use disposable Tiffen cloths. Partly because they're in supply at the local camera store, but mostly because they're always clean. I use two for each lens when I clean them. One wet, one dry.

With this, I looked at your flickr... awesome. Great shots.

Back on topic, I also keep my cloth in a ziploc.. one of the snack ones works perfect.

Hey everyone,
I just recently came upon a 70-200 2.8 and a 17-55 2.8 . And as you all know these are pretty expensive lenses. So I went to clean the glass on my 17-55 today and I noticed that my microfiber cloth has some dirt on it that doesn't go away from shaking it. Should I wash it. And if so how should I wash it. Or should I just start using the disposable wipes? Let me know what you guys recommend. These lenses are in mint condition. And I want to keep them that way.
You can try and pick out the dirt that wont come out and wash it or buck up and buy a new one for a few bucks.

I would get a new one. Also look for one of those lens pens. They work great.

Here's how to clean a microfiber cloth: wash it with a grease-cutting liquid dishwashing detergent like Lemon Joy and warm water. Avoid hot water. Heat is how they shrink the microfiber's thousands and thousands of threads into a tight weave--using boiling water will ruin the cloth and will trap grit and dirt inside the weave.

After washing the cloth with the liquid detergent, rinse the cloth several times in a glass of water. Then, to complete the rinse, fill the glass and let the cloth sit in the water for 30 seconds, then dump the water. Each time you let film or anything else sit in water for 30 seconds and them dump the water out, you cut the amount of contaminants in half. Each subsequent soak-and-rinse reduces the residual contaminant level by half yet again. This method is actually proven better at eliminating contaminants than rinsing under running water,which isn't all that good at eliminating contaminants. After five minutes, the cloth will be totally clean and ready to dry.

After the last rinse, spread the cloth out over the top of the glass and allow the cloth to air dry.

I buy rather expensive microfiber cloths that cost $15.95 each.

Last edited:
The people that make those lenses, Nikon, recommend a clean cotton cloth, or lens tissue paper. Nothing about microfiber.

Quote from a Nikon lens muaers manual:

"Clean lens surfaces with a blower brush. To remove dirt and smudges, use a soft, clean cotton cloth or lens tissue moistened with ethanol (alcohol) or lens cleaner. Wipe in a circular motion from the center to the outer edge, taking care not to leave traces or touch other parts of the lens."

The most critical step is using the blower bush to remove any dirt/dust/abrasive particles from the lens before touching the lens with any kind of cloth or lens tissue. I strongly recommend any tissue or cloth used to clean a lens be discarded or set aside for other non-lens cleaning use.

Wow, Just WOW

You know if you really just plunked down $5K+ don't you think you should know how to clean your lenses at this point.

there was no need to be an ass.

i have a method of cleaning my lenses right now, and i do it based on what i've read previously because the lenses were cheap and if my way does happen to harm the lens then it wont be the end of the world. you best believe if i just spent $5k for lenses i'd be on here asking the very same question as to minimize the chances of harm being done.

My threads always go off topic. Yes I have nice gear. However, those pictures on flickr are MY VERY FIRST PICTURES i've ever taken with a digital camera. So soon I will be posting new ones with better lighting equipment and more experience with my camera. And I do know how to clean my lenses. This wasn't a question about cleaning lenses. I know how to clean all my equipment including sensor cleaning. I don't know why people always have to attack on this forum. Its kind of upsetting and kind of pointless. Thanks to those of you guys who answered the question properly. The point of this was to see if I can clean my microfiber, but it seems to be that this was a stupid question lol. I should probably just buy a new microfiber considering 5 dollars isn't worth losing a thousand dollar lens.

Eric

Most reactions

Back