Pretty Simple Question

OM-Guy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to get a zoom lens for my OM and it is a 55mm. My other lens's are all 50mm. The filters I have for my 50mm's are 49mm's. I have been looking for filters for the new 55mm and all I can find is 55mm filters......shouldn't a filter for a 55mm lens be a 54mm filter? Or am I just totally screwin' this up? LOL

-Rich

filter size all depends on the lens. It has nothing to do with focal length. If I recall those olyupus lenses take a 49mm filter but it has been a long time since I looked. It should say on the front ring of the lens what size it should take.

The filter size is the diameter of the inner front of the lens like the previous poster said it has nothing to with the focal length of the lens. One brand of a 50mm might be a 49mm and another might be a 52mm its how the lens is designed. Usually if you look at the back of your lens cap it will give you the inner size in mm's.

Hm, I don't think I clarified in the original thread so I will now. The dimensions I was talking about were not focal length. They are the actual diameter of the end of the lens. The focal length of the new lens is 35-70mm zoom. I understand that the focal length has nothing to do with the filter size. Hope this clears it up a bit.

I have an OM1nMD and my lenses are all 49mm filters except one, a newer lens made for the newer cameras but fitts my mount, it is a 35-70mm which takes a 52mm filter.

Hope it helps.

You can always look into step up, and step down rings...which I've had to do when I get filters as gifts. otherwise I just whatever my lenses are (but then again, they're all the same size, but in the future, when they aren't, I will have to get those step up and down rings)

If the outer rim of your lens says 55mm you should get a 55mm filter. If its not printed there, look on the back of your lens cap. Whatever it says, but that size.

Most reactions

Back