• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Renol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got a 50D that basically can't function. What I mean by that is a fully charged battery (I have tested several different ones old and new) will last for maybe a minute or two of anything before the battery indicator begins flashing and shortly thereafter the unit shuts down. The batteries once placed back on the charger are once again fully charged almost immediately. I've also tried a different charger with the same results. I would replace it with a used one, but this was supposed to be a "refurbished" unit but was in worse shape than my previous 50D which had to be retired due to a bent frame after a tumble from a tripod.

So, I'm torn between a 7dii and a 6dii, or the new mirrorless. I don't do video, so that's low priority. I do like the idea of full frame since I tend shoot a lot of landscapes and there have been many times I've been wishing for a wider lens (more than 17mm or often 28mm) in shots so the extra space would be good. I don't have any lenses that are not compatible with full frame. The crop factor would be nice for the occasional bird shots and wildlife, but that's secondary. I'm also not convinced the mirrorless is the way to go just yet as I'm sure there are kinks to be worked out, but I understand the adapter ring works well with EF lenses. Also not switching brands.

Thoughts or suggestions?

I looked online and one can buy a decent condition 40D for $125. There was not that much of a difference between the 40D and the 50D.

Right now your poll has only one vote, mine, for the 6D Mark II.

I kind of like full frame because of how so many lenses fit and work. The 70 to 200 was really designed for 24 by 36, meaning full frame. The 24, 28, 35, 50, 85 prime lenses I really best when used on a camera that has a 24 by 36 mm image area. There are lots of Legacy lenses, and I think that a 6D Mark II would be a really nice camera. Canon EF full frame can adopt 7 Legacy lens mounts from the 35 millimeter days with full Infinity Focus. If for example you want a nice 28, you could buy an older Olympus OM or a Nikon ,or a Pentax m42. If you want a good 100 or 105 mm macro lens, which you will use in manual focus anyway the world is your oyster with Canon EF.

Last edited:
I looked online and one can buy a decent condition 40D for $125. There was not that much of a difference between the 40D and the 50D.

Right now your poll has only one vote, mine, for the 6D Mark II.

I should specify that I'm not willing to go used again simply because of my bad experience with the "refurbished" (I read as better than typical used) unit that died under very light use after a year and had a few other issues such as "sticky" shutter button and non-functional usb port.

Are you certain it is the camera? I a couple of batteries that behave just like that. I put them in the camera and switch it on and it behaves like they are dead. I put them in the charger and the charger behaves like they are fully charged. The camera is fine.

I have a 50D.

I also have the 6D Mark II and it was perfect for me. I almost got the 5D Mark IV but used the $ 1000 saved towards a new 70-200 2.8 L.

My next body may be a mirrorless full frame but I will wait for the EOS R Mark II just because I am set for now and not because of any reservations.

You may be a bit shocked at losing that 1.6 multiplier the crop sensor provides on your current lenses but if you really want the wider angle of view then full frame is the way to go. And their low light performance is great.

The EOS R was not available when I got the 6D Mark II so I cannot tell you what I would have done. But I can tell you I have no regrets. It has been a workhorse.

It could be the batteries, especially if they are aftermarket. That is one thing to consider. Or it could be the camera.

I considered batteries since I have some aftermarkets, but same thing with OE, old aftermarket, and more recent aftermarket.

Actually I've been made a liar after retesting. One of my OE batteries is good, but the other is bad and so are the rest. I just retested them fresh off the charger and all but one failed after a few minutes of usage. Even if the batteries held up, the frustration of having to really mash the shutter button to take a shot gets old fast. This thing has been a let down since I got it. Were I a repairman I'd replace the board on this one with the board from my old one that I have yet to trash.

For a refurbished unit, it does not sound like a really good job on the refurbishing the non-operative USB port and the bad shutter release action being indications of a poor job refurbishing the camera . a truly well refurbished unit is one that has been thoroughly tested at the end, and not just cleaned up with alcohol and a microfiber cloth.

I think you might have better luck with a good used unit than with something that is quote refurbished end qoute by a less than reputable seller. I would not be surprised if used 50d units are available for less than $200. I think that you would probably be able to buy five used 50d cameras for the price of a 6D Mark 2...

I was in a similar place as yourself with upgrades after wanting to upgrade from my old 7D last year. I found the choice difficult as I tend to shoot landscapes and wildlife and really cameras are optimised for either or. Ultimatley landscapes are my priority so I ended up going with the 5DmkIV after lots of agonising I decided I could stretch the budget to get what I wanted rather than compromise.

For landscapes the full frame is great, maybe it's my imagination but I put it down to lens charicteristics and sensor size, there's just something that works really well with traditional focal lengths and that 24x36 sensor that Derrel mentions. Either way I'm much happier with the results.

There were a couple of things that put me off going for the 6DmkII but maybe they won't bother you and all in all the 6DmkII is an extremley capable camera.

I don't like EVFs at all, I had a look through the EOSR's viewfinder and it was looking at an old TV screen, puts me right off mirrorless. Battery life is also shorter so I still prefer the old school DSLRs especially if I'm out in the countryside. YMMV

The 7DmkII is a good camera, possibly showing it's age a little now but if you said your main focus was wildlife then it would have been a better option.

So overall the 6DmkII wins my vote.

For a refurbished unit, it does not sound like a really good job on the refurbishing the non-operative USB port and the bad shutter release action being indications of a poor job refurbishing the camera . a truly well refurbished unit is one that has been thoroughly tested at the end, and not just cleaned up with alcohol and a microfiber cloth.

I think you might have better luck with a good used unit than with something that is quote refurbished end qoute by a less than reputable seller. I would not be surprised if used 50d units are available for less than $200. I think that you would probably be able to buy five used 50d cameras for the price of a 6D Mark 2...

I see what you're saying and while budget wise a "new" used unit would be better, I'd like to upgrade instead of staying as is. Plus while I don't do video its more a result of that not having been an option. I've messed with a buddy's 7dii as part of a project and the video was fun to try out. As such a video capable unit is something I'd like to have. Maybe I'll make it big on youtube! (Yea right!)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back