Price to charge for a beginner??

I'd tell them your Day Rate is normally $900 per day, and if need be, allow them to bargain you down to no less than $650 per day. That's in no way exorbitant. If you were a "real photographer" (in air quotes, no insult intended) doing small product commercial on a 31-item job you'd be billing at least $4,000 or so, but these people are probably small potatos, so inferring several things about you, your client, etc, I think you ought to start with the $900 day rate quote,and proceed from there.

Do not under-sell yourself.

I'd tell them your Day Rate is normally $900 per day, and if need be, allow them to bargain you down to no less than $650 per day. That's in no way exorbitant. If you were a "real photographer" (in air quotes, no insult intended) doing small product commercial on a 31-item job you'd be billing at least $4,000 or so, but these people are probably small potatos, so inferring several things about you, your client, etc, I think you ought to start with the $900 day rate quote,and proceed from there.

I mean no offense what so ever, but for someone who just started doing paid photography and with the list of equipment... The standard price is highway robbery.

I mean no offense what so ever, but for someone who just started doing paid photography and with the list of equipment... The standard price is highway robbery.

Equipment is not the criteria, what is produced by the equipment is.

We are not privileged with photographic examples of the finished product to judge the value of work.

I don't believe solely in that jive.
It is about the equipment, and it is about the skill.

If you believe you have the tools and the skills to do the job, do it and don't let anyone talk you out of it. You'll gain valuable experience. Be sure you put your big girl panties on and be prepared to see it all the way through. Remember whatever you charge will never be enough. My experience tells me that these types who don't want to pay full price and seek out a cut rate deal will never be satisfied with the finished product. When money's on the line friends aren't so friendly and snap shots won't be good enough. They're expecting work that rivals Gucci's photographer, and he/she didn't work for $900 a day. If you can finish in less than 10 hours I'd be amazed! I could be wrong, but let us know what happens.

I looked at the photo's and if that is what they want they MUST be a small place. All of those photo's look like garbo. Basically looks like the camera was on auto with pop-up flash and natural light. If that is what you are looking for you can just close your eyes and take better pictures. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Equipment is not the criteria, what is produced by the equipment is.

+1

If you know your gear and it's limitations, you can get great shots by working around the limitations. If it was a question of gear, I never would have worked as a PJ since I never owned "pro" gear.

When I got my first strobes, I learned to use them by replicating photos from top names in the commercial world. Imagine that, I was producing the same shots for a 10th of the cost of those top dogs. :D

I would be much more worried about the poster's technical abilities and general business sense than the gear. The fact that he is asking here about what to charge, makes me wonder :confused:

If someone wanted you to take pictures of 31 items(10 shots of each) 310 quality shots for $2.50 in 5 hours. What would you tell them?

Most reactions

Back