Pricing Collectible Cameras

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by Mitica100, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Lisakay

Lisakay TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I recently started collecting vintage cameras. My husband got me my first one for Christmas, and after that it kind of took off. We get a lot of them from flea markets. They are all pretty cool. I don't have any plans to sell any of them, but it's nice to be able to look them up and see what they are potentially worth.

2. BrianV

BrianV TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Prices depend a lot on condition, "user condition" cameras will sell for a small fraction of one that is mint in the box. With that stated- I've picked up Leica's in "antique" shops for $15 each. So you never know, and there are some knowledgeable members on this forum that love looking at pictures of cameras.

3. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Like that 'photographic apparatus' in the prior post that I hadn't seen before.

It doesn't seem like that many cameras have a particularly high value as collectibles (except Leicas for $15! oohhh...) but once you get started you may never stop. I have more than enough but seem to always find just one more...

4. Lisakay

Lisakay TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't collect them in hopes of reselling. I just do it because I'm a photographer and enjoy old cameras from the past. I agree with vintagesnaps that once you get started collecting you may never stop. Just when I think I have enough, I always find one more I like and always walk out with it.

5. BrianV

BrianV TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's always good to know when you are looking at a bargain, or an overpriced piece of junk. Many antique store and thrift shop managers can't tell the difference, and there is a lot of overpriced junk in the shelves.

It's kind of like coin collecting years ago- you could get some really rare and valuable coins in pocket change. It's been years since I've seen a "Wheat Penny" or Liberty Head dime in change. Better odds of walking in on a Leica or Voigtlander on a shelf.

6. Patrice

Patrice No longer a newbie, moving up!

Wow, I could get a D800 if I could find a buyer for 3 or 4 of mine. Big if.

I'll hang to them for a bit yet. Maybe my youngest daughter could get a year's worth of college tuition in 6 or 7 years.

7. BrianV

BrianV TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I paid for the M Monochrom and M9 by selling vintage lenses and some cameras. I work on the lenses, so it was "time spent"- but it is also fun to take a 75 year old lens and make it work on a different camera than it was built for.

8. alphaRick

alphaRick TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello..I'm new to the forum. I have many older SLR cameras, lenses, filters, photography manuals, magazines and other misc. photographic equipment I inherited from my brother's estate. He was a newspaper photographer and collector of many things, not least of which was cameras. Admittedly, i am not anywhere near to being knowledgeable about the worth of these cameras. i have about 75 cameras and maybe 50 lenses. I am wanting to sell the equipment and need to find out what they are worth. I hope someone on here can help in this regard. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanking in advance,
    AlphaRick

9. Patrice

Patrice No longer a newbie, moving up!

Make a list and then go look at the completed sales on ebay. If some items are rare or have not been traded or sold in a while then check on vintage camera sites.

10. alphaRick

alphaRick TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank you for your suggestion..I'll try it.

11. jacobsp21

jacobsp21 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Antique: MILITARY OMEGA 120 SIMMON BROTHERS - HELP with PRICING!!

So, my grandfather just passed away and I found that he has this camera. I'm looking to sell it and I was wondering how much it was worth. Help anyone??!!

12. loganseven

loganseven TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Looking for a ball park $ Canon vt deluxe (vtdz) with 50mm 1.5 lens, 35mm 2.8, 100mm 3.5, 135mm 3.5, and 85mm 1.9 all have rangefinders but the 50mm also have caps and uv filters