Pricing for my gear

Incidentally, I'm curious as to your plans. What full-size body are you going to get, and what lenses are you planning for? What kind of photography do you do? Are you a pro photographer?

Incidentally, I'm curious as to your plans. What full-size body are you going to get, and what lenses are you planning for? What kind of photography do you do? Are you a pro photographer?

I am deff not a professional photographer. I wish I was. I shoot a variety of different subjects. Automotive, wildlife and landscapes are my favorite and most frequently used other than vacation. I am just starting to shop for a new camera so as far as what body I'm Gona get is TBD as of now. Just putting a feeler out to see what kind of money I can get to put toward a Full frame and lense. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Why the upgrade? I'd keep the 7100 ditch the 3300 and shoot more. If you needed short dof maybe the upgrade would make sense but even then I'd spend money on glass before jumping to FF

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I completely agree with Cody'sCaptures. First; unless you have a compelling reason to keep the D3300, I'd sell it along with two "kit" lenses, and the bag. Use that money to get either a top quality lens, or a couple of speedlights with stands and modifiers, or maybe a good tripod and a larger bag/case.

Jumping into a "full frame" camera is a serious endeavor for which there ought to be a good reason.

I completely agree with Cody'sCaptures. First; unless you have a compelling reason to keep the D3300, I'd sell it along with two "kit" lenses, and the bag. Use that money to get either a top quality lens, or a couple of speedlights with stands and modifiers, or maybe a good tripod and a larger bag/case.

Jumping into a "full frame" camera is a serious endeavor for which there ought to be a good reason.

I just came here for an est on price now y'all got me debating on what to do [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. I may just keep all of it and buy a nice wide angle glass. I have about $1400 cash to spend not counting what I would get for the equipment I already have. So if I don't sell any $1400 is my budget.

Any reccomendation on a nice wide angle for that price.

the 70-300 sounds like the same one I have. If so its an FX lens and designed for the FX full frame line. Keep that and any other FX branded lens regardless of what you do with the 7100

the 70-300 sounds like the same one I have. If so its an FX lens and designed for the FX full frame line. Keep that and any other FX branded lens regardless of what you do with the 7100

IMG_2932.JPG

I can't tell if it's the FX or DX. I thought it was the DX when I bought it.

If I want to sell items I go to eBay and check the items in advanced search "sold items" to get an idea of the real world price.

Last edited:
Hey guys, once again thank you for your feedback on my question. I do have one more question. I don't think Im going to go full frame even though I'm not liking the crop sensor. However I did come across a Nikon d810 used with a shutter count of 12k. The price of the camera new (from nikon) is $2700. The one I found is $1900. Would this be a good enough deal to do the upgrade? I didn't want to start whole new thread so I figured I post on this one. Thank you again

Would this be a good enough deal to do the upgrade?
Yup. Do it.

Landscape photographs of the Grand Canyon with that camera, heck yeah!

Now back to the lens question.

Keep the 50 and the 70-300, and start your "trinity" collection ASAP.

Nikon Holy Trinity

I'd start with the 14-24 if you can afford just one.

Have a Grand time at the GC! :biggrinangelA:

Would this be a good enough deal to do the upgrade?
Yup. Do it.

Landscape photographs of the Grand Canyon with that camera, heck yeah!

Now back to the lens question.

Keep the 50 and the 70-300, and start your "trinity" collection ASAP.

Nikon Holy Trinity

I'd start with the 14-24 if you can afford just one.

Have a Grand time at the GC! :biggrinangelA:

Thank you! I am currently looking at a used in excellent shape 14-24 for $1300. I'm just deciding if I should go ahead and get the lens and hold off on the Fx till later. Then when I do decide to upgrade I'll have 35mm, 50mm 70-300mm and the nicer 14-24mm already. Not sure I can do both the camera and the 14-24 right now.

Sent from my iPad using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I feel that 1.900 for a used D810 is not the best price you can find. A quick search through "sold items" on US eBay shows that 1600 seems to be a good price if you are ready to wait a while.

But: For half the price you can get a D600 which is nearly as good and you still have a lot of money left for lenses, new and used.

The trinity is nice but zooming is not for everyone and every situation. The 14-24 is very good but I did only use it as a 2.8/14, which does not exist in comparable quality as a prime. The optical quality of the pro zooms is phantastic and the AF speed generally better than most of the Nikkor primes.

It is thus not the optical Quality that made me buy prime lenses although they were more expensive. It is the fact that I am used to work with two bodies and two primes and my field of work is not in sports and action.

I feel that 1.900 for a used D810 is not the best price you can find. A quick search through "sold items" on US eBay shows that 1600 seems to be a good price if you are ready to wait a while.

But: For half the price you can get a D600 which is nearly as good and you still have a lot of money left for lenses, new and used.

The trinity is nice but zooming is not for everyone and every situation. The 14-24 is very good but I did only use it as a 2.8/14, which does not exist in comparable quality as a prime. The optical quality of the pro zooms is phantastic and the AF speed generally better than most of the Nikkor primes.

It is thus not the optical Quality that made me buy prime lenses although they were more expensive. It is the fact that I am used to work with two bodies and two primes and my field of work is not in sports and action.

I was just on eBay and saw some decent pricing. I was just concerned with buying one from eBay and it not being an authorized dealer and later down the road it costing me a ton of money to repair (if needed). The used one I saw was from one of the supporting vendors on here (I can't remember which). I saw a brand new one on eBay for $2100. So if I was to go the eBay route I might as well spend the extra and get the new one unless a deal I can't pass up came across.

At the end of the day I may just stick with my original plan and get the 14-24mm and wait on the FF. Maybe come spring the prices will drop and I can find an even better deal but who knows

Sent from my iPad using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I did pre-order the D850. It will replace my D600. For many it will replace the D810. Meaning: There will be a lot more D810 bodies in the market soon and the prices will go down. If you can wait....

Most reactions

Back