Pricing Landscape Prints

Many years ago, we lived in upstate NY. My wife made some dolls from clothespins and material scraps that everyone thought were really cute. A local shop (tourist trap) wanted to sell them for her and she agreed. She priced them at $1.50 each, figuring they would be a low cost alternative. After 2 months, none had sold. The shop owner suggested a price change to $9.95 each - all of them sold in a week!

Shows that the selling price of something is relative to it's perceived value.

Suggest you see what other landscape prints are selling for in your area and price accordingly. If you can't make a profit at that price, don't sell them - or look at how to reduce your costs.

What an exciting step in your photography career to have artwork that you're proud to sell!
I think availability of your prints should be taken into account when marking up, perhaps -- how many prints do you plan on producing from one photograph? If you plan on setting up shop in farmers markets and sell unlimited amounts of the same photo (medium aside) then I would go towards a 50% markup. If the prints are being shown in local galleries and you limit the amount that are printed (ever), a markup can be over 500%. Just depends on which route you go!
Best of luck :)

Been around a very Long time Location,Location. I do 2 Shows a Year In My town Of Beverly Hills, I also do large scale painting 8ft x 8ft O/C One show is B&W prints. www.rinderart.com Traditionally Done No Metallic stuff. thats More for art Fairs and such I think. My 16 x 20 prints are On wht 20x24 matts with a Thin Black frame. Graham Nash does all My Archival Printing...Nash Editions. From Crosby,Stills and Nash. I frame Myself as I buy at wholesale where frame shops Buy. I stay consistent with sizes and I use Museum Grade Plexi. My Paintings are 90% abstract and do No Frame those. Because It's a waste. abstract is never framed usually. The work is usually street or hard hitting Emotion. It sells the best.....For me. You can see a Lot on my site. Rinderart.COM and heres a Bit of advice for everyone. Raise your prices. People don't want cheap. It's called perceived Value.Galleries get 40%. thats standard.Any questions. Glad to help. [email protected]

Attachments

• DSC_5986 small.jpg
    DSC_5986 small.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 226
  • st 17XX .jpg
    st 17XX .jpg
    97 KB · Views: 209
  • ST 7.jpg
    ST 7.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

Most reactions