Pricing on a job

Henry Guilherme

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi
I'm new to this forum and hope someone out there can help out with a question that I have.
Recently I had 3 of my Photographs chosen to be used in a 5 star hotel in the suites. They are going to be repeated around 300 times. The Idea is to give them the digital file. I have been asked to give a price but I honestly don't know how I should figure out the right price. Until now I have done architectural jobs only which I usually calculate differently.
has anyone had this experience before or can someone give me some pointers to get a correct price for everyone?

Thanks

Ask them how much they're willing to pay. 20 years ago, this would have been a $10,000/year licensing job. Today, if you're lucky, you may get a few thousand from it. I would ask them what their budget is for the project, add 10% and if they agree to that, call it a win. Assuming this is a large hotel/chain, then I would be thinking in the $5-6000.

Actually the photos have already been approved and basically they are just waiting for the price. they have been put in the model suit. So I don't really know if they will give me the budget. I think that they will try to get away with a very low price. That's why I'm afraid to ask them for what they are waiting for.

I'm afraid you've allowed the cart to get in front of the horse... Worse-case scenario, it will be a good lesson. Always have prices set and agreements & usage licenses signed BEFORE you hand anything over that doesn't have "PROOF" emblazoned across it. In that case, throw a number at them that you will be happy with and hope it sticks.

Thanks for your feedback.
I think that I didn't explain myself well. What they have is just a print copy for 1 room. I haven't given them the digital format and they will only have it after the contract is closed.
Once again, thank you for your answer it has been very useful.

Try http://asmp.org or PPA for guidelines on how to determine pricing. You're talking commercial use and licensing usage.

That's good they only have a print but learn from this for next time, They're a business - you should have a contract. This is licensing usage for commercial use. Try http://asmp.org or PPA for resources on determining pricing, licensing usage, releases and contracts, etc. etc.

I must have read John's mind... his pricing seems realistic.

Thanks for your feedback.
I think that I didn't explain myself well. What they have is just a print copy for 1 room. I haven't given them the digital format and they will only have it after the contract is closed.
Once again, thank you for your answer it has been very useful.
That's good!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back