Pricing question for newbie

somberg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am doing some volunteer photography work for a non-profit organization. I will be shooting for about 3 or 4 hours on each of two afternoons, plus post-production. They gave me a form on which it asks the value of my contribution. (Not sure why...I do not think it is something I can deduct from my taxes.) I am not a professional so don't have any idea what this value might be. Can anyone provide me some guidance (or ballpark figure)? Thanks.

I would assume that they are going to give you a donation receipt for the value of your work. It probably won't make a lot of difference to your taxes, but every bit helps, right? You're looking at what... ten hours of work? I would say that given that it's specialized work (ie not labouring, etc) you would be perfectly justified in putting down a value of $25-50/hour.

Without quite a bit more info the ball park is not well defined.
Where you are has a lot to do with what is charged.
In L.A. and NYC costs are higher than they are in Pueblo, CO or Billings, MT.

I charged non-profits (501 (c) tax status) my normal commercial rate.
Two 1/2 days would be $3200, plus use licensing and any other costs - travel, models, props, additional lighting/photography equipment rental, catering, parking, etc.
Usually the use licensing cost more than the charge for my time and talent (commercial 1/2 day rate).

If I wanted to support the non-profit I made a personal donation.

Last edited:
I think if the nonprofit is a registered 501(c)3 they have to do an annual report, so I'd think they keep track of donations and apparently of the value of donated work.

It's hard to ballpark it not knowing more specifics - how many photos are being provided? what's the usage (website, social media pages, brochure, etc.)? how long is usage granted? So maybe somewhere in the middle between John
s and Keith's estimates?? Probably closer to Keith's if there will be a good number of photos with a good bit of usage; closer to John's for a small number of photos for limited use.

I would assume that they are going to give you a donation receipt for the value of your work. It probably won't make a lot of difference to your taxes, but every bit helps, right? You're looking at what... ten hours of work? I would say that given that it's specialized work (ie not labouring, etc) you would be perfectly justified in putting down a value of $25-50/hour.

It won't matter to you because you can't deduct time spent on your taxes.
Is the value of volunteer time tax deductible?

It won't matter to you because you can't deduct time spent on your taxes.
Is the value of volunteer time tax deductible?
That's kind of harsh.

If you itemize your taxes or if you decide by the end of the year to do a Schedule C on your Federal Income Taxes then you want a high, but reasonable, amount. Sounds like about 10 to 12 hours of work. A reasonable amount would be $50/hr. They can give you the letter of thanks and you will have it whichever way you decide to go.

Most reactions

Back