Pricing, retouching, limits, happy clients

It depends on what your goal is. I'm just thinking your process could be much simpler utilizing the tools photoshop has. And I also think you're undercharging for commercial use.

Your mouse over's aren't working for me. Might be my wifi. I dunno, but you are definitely a quite a bit on the slow side. There are some that will take a long time-an hour or more, but most glamor images shouldn't take an average of 20-30 minutes.
Get it right in camera so that all you have to do is polish and smooth. If a model's got bad makeup-fix it. If she has bad hair-fix it. If you are constantly cloning and fixing things that could be fixed before the shot is ever taken then you will kill your profitability faster than lightning strikes.
If I were shooting something like this I'd aim for an average of probably about 4 to 8 perfect images in an hour. We'll keep a reasonably slow pace and say that takes an hour per image to edit... That's 9 hours for each one hour shoot. Is that reasonable for you? I don't know. For me? I'd say no. I'd want to be at about half of that.

tirediron said:
What may help you is having a before and after album. Produce say, a half-dozen images and edit them to the highest standard you can. Place them in an album with the edited version opposite the original and separated by a blank page (so that when they look at the original image, the edited version is not visible). Now, start your pitch: "Here's an image from a session with Susy; as you can see, there are some issues with her skin/hair/eyes/etc. (Point out all of the issues) Of course she's a pretty girl, but no one ever looks as good as they can right out of the camera. Because I want my clients to leave here with images that are as beautiful as they are, I ONLY provide you with the absolute most finely enhanced (Never use words like 'edit', 'touched-up' etc) images I can. Now of course, this level of craftsmanship does cost a little more, but all quality products do."

I still feel (and I don't mean this to sound rude) that with a little more work and practice on the front-end, you could really reduce your editing time.

I liked the way you approach it, I wonder if this just an example or I can use it
Is your feeling based on seeing my work? If yes then I appreciate a more clarification on how can it be improved up-front to reduce the editing?

For example when I client asks for removing a double chin, or re constructing eyeliner because the model's eyes were tearing all the time.. I don't think it is something that can be avoid before shooting.
Feel free to use as little or as much as you see fit.
With respect to you shooting and editing, I really can't offer any opinion since I've not seen your work. I just feel, based on my experience, that it shouldn't take you as long as it does.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back