pricing

ironsidephoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ironsidephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm just wondering if someone who knows more about pricing than i do could look at my website and give me some tips on pricing? I'm not sure how much to charge...still new at this.
thanks!

Stephen:

The quick 'n easy way to figure out what to charge is to do a search for the type of photography you want to do. For instance, if you were a portrait photographer, do a search for "portrait photographer."

Take a look at the top 10 or 20 sites that come up... and you'll get a pretty good ballpark of what you should be charging for a particular photo/sitting/album, etc.

And then, when you come up with a price that seems reasonable, raise it by 30% and give it a try. (The vast majority of photographers underprice their services, IMHO.)

Not a question you should be asking others. There are too many variables that you neglected to explain such as time, experince, framed, unframed, etc. Jim has the best formula. Charge what you think the shot is worth and add 30%. Keep in mind that photography is about making great images; not money.

Love & Bass

Keep in mind that photography is about making great images; not money.

Hey Craig... I'm not sure the two are mutually exclusive... although a lot of people use the "I'm creating art" excuse to explain why they aren't making money.

Believe me, there are plenty of photographic "artists" out there making a ton of money. (They're the ones who understand that a successful photo business is 10% photography and 90% marketing.)

But I will wholeheartedly agree that photography is one of those things that would be hard to do just for the money. There are easier ways.

The important thing to realize that photography is a serious journey. Let us say that you took some amazing photos and decided to create a web site to try and sell them. You have already set yourself up for disappointment. Literally every photographer in the world has taken the same approach. My advice is to hone your skills to the point of people asking you "how much for one of your prints". Then the question of pricing will become a lot easier. Furthermore; as you understand your photography you will be able to target an audience and figure out what they will pay. Generally we are saturated with beautiful landscapes and such. Until someone says "wow that is a John Doe photo" you may be banging your head against a wall.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

New Topics

Back