Prime Lenses

fotogenik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all,

More input is needed

I have been looking at 50mm prime lenses for the past couple of days and I am curious, is it worth the extra expense to look for a f1.2 50mm prime lens or is it that much of a difference from an f1.8 50mm prime lens?

Take these two lenses for example:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=247091&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

and

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=97413&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Is there enough justification in image quality to spend the extra $165 bucks for the .4 fstop increase (decrease depending on how you look at it) of the second lens?

The extra money isnt for better image quality. You will get tack sharp images with either lens. The extra money is for build quality. The f/1.4 has a more rugged body, metal mount, and even though that .4 or 1/2 stop doesnt seem like much, it takes an extra piece of glass to get it. And that 1/2 stop could mean alot if you are shooting in low light.

But at the end of the day, if you want sharp photos and dont need the extra quality, the 50mm f/1.8D is an excellent choice.

K

I HEARD the 1.4 is a bit softer actually than the 1.8

both are good and should suit you fine, since you beginning.

a lot of very good photographers shot with just a 50/2 or 50/2.8 for many years. they didn't complain.

I got a Nikon 50mm 1.8 a couple of years back and have been very pleased with it. Great for low lite photography. Between the 1.4 and 1.8, I would choose the latter because of the price difference.

I don't use digital, but I recently purchased a Nikkor 1.8 AIS for $60.00 in like new condition. The 1.2s seem to go for around $180.00+.

1.2 means the lense lets in more light with means it is faster and takes better pics witout a flash
if you are shooting indore get the lowest light rating (meaning closest to one) you can aford

Here's one.

You can also do a search on eBay for a 50mm 1.8 for Canon. The older ones have a metal mount where the new ones are plastic. Not really that big of a deal, just a matter of preference. :D

Rashadan said:
Thanks a lot. I appreciate everyones advice.

Xion, love the writeup you have done on setting up a small home studio.

Rashandan - Thanks - I am still setting the studio up and also trying to put down all the stuff in the web site. Hopefully I will have it completed with some pix by next week.

Most reactions

Back