print size for digital

JohnMF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
What is the biggest size you can print an 8.2 megapixel at without it losing quality?

thanks

That depends on the opinion of the photog or viewer. I like to stick to 300 dpi, which means somewhere around 8"x12". That's as large as I like go with 35mm too. I'm picky.

There are lots of other factors that contribute to the quality of enlarged photographs. Try searching the forums, this has been discussed a few times before.

You lose quality as soon as you print it :p It will never look as good as it does on screen. I've printed 6.3mp photos at 20"x30" and I find them acceptable from a short distance.

300PPI is the normal guide - i have seen pictures on walls printed as low as 180PPI

so take the pixels in the photo and divide by the PPI
so if the pixels are
3000 x 300 @ 300PPI that will print {3000/300 by 300/300} 10" x 1"
3000 x 300 @ 30PPI that will print {3000/30 by 300/30} 100" x 10"
however, 30 pixels per inch will look awful - like the dots on a newspaper print - more dots better the picture

hope that helps

thanks for the help

Luckily the bigger it the farther back people can stand from it which givers you a little leeway in the DPI. Look around and you'll find some answers.

Just thought I'd add that I've printed upto 16x20 with my D70 (6 megapixel) and they've turned out fantastic. Even at a very close distance.

Well, 6.3 megapixels on my Canon 300D is said to be able to print A3 (same size as what Jp_w put?) so...bigger than A3....A2? id say about A2.

I’ve also have had 6mp jpg images printed up to 20x30 inch by on-line services with very nice results. Mostly have used kodakgallery.com (Ofotos) in the pass. Just placed an order for a 20x30 with Mpix.com for the first time today. Expect it to be fine.

It’s all has to do with the software that the printer uses to print.

the manual for my fujifilm S5100 (4.0 megapixel) says I can print up to 8x10 with little to no loss of quality when using the best quality of jpeg format that the camera has. i imagine that with raw format i could go higher. but i have yet to test the theory so take it at face value.

Artemis said:
Well, 6.3 megapixels on my Canon 300D is said to be able to print A3 (same size as what Jp_w put?) so...bigger than A3....A2? id say about A2.

A3 or A2 would be great.

I suppose i'll just have to get a few done to see.

thanks people

To maximize your results, shoot on a tripod, with remote if possible, and shoot in the sweet spot of your lens to maximize sharpness. Nail your exposure, because any noise you get from tweaking an underexposed shot will just be magnified in a large print.

Thanks for the tips matt.

Im currently on a waiting list for a canon cable release for my 20d, theyre completely sold out everywhere where i live! Don't want to use one of the cheaper alternative brands because i heard that the can fry your camera completely

John, in the mean time, use mirror lock up, and the self timer, which will give you a 2 second delay. It's better than nothing. I usually use that for landscapes, even with a remote.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back