Printer conundrum

Moglex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'd like to by a new printer to replace an ancient Epsom A3.

Having decided that it's generally more efficient to get larger prints done by a lab, I just want it for proofing, so it only needs to be A4.

So my criteria are simple:

1) It works.
2) The quality is good - it does not need to be superlative.
3) It does not drain the ink cartridges every time you turn it on after not using it for a day or two.
4) Single function (so that it is compact and I'm not paying for hardware I don't need).

The conundrum is, that no matter where you look, nor how much you are prepared to spend, anywhere with customer reviews, and where there are more than a dozen or so for any particular product, will have a bunch of people basically saying that said product is a load of <insert rude word here>.

So I would be very grateful is anyone can relay their experiences of an A4 printer that meets the - I would have thought - reasonably modest criteria mentioned above.

My epson 3880 just keeps on ticking. Not a timex, Seiko who owns Epson. The head is controlled by Seiko tuning fork technology and the ink isn't heated to spray as canon printers. A common problem with ink jet printers is nozzle clogging if they aren't used every few days. Mine sat for 1.5 YEARS and after vacuuming out some dust from the rear feeder, keep it covered with a thin breathable cloth not plastic to keep dust out, and a couple of head cleanings, works perfectly. Now I try to do a nozzle check on plain paper every 2 to 3 days to run ink through all the nozzles just to be sure if I haven't printed sooner. That has prevented a single nozzle clog in 6 months. No expensive paper used for the nozzle check, can even re use the same office paper and uses minimal ink. I'm, not sure what you consider larger prints, but once you experience being able to fine tuning of your print exactly to your vision, and the print is your ultimate result of the shot, not a $1000 lens, I think you may find a 17" printer in the $900 range will give you something missing from a lab, not to mention having total control from capture to print. These printers don't waste ink firing up but if you change from matt to photo black ink, there is some waste so batching those and keeping changes to a minimum helps. If you use either photo paper or mat paper most of the time, that isn't too much of a problem. Another benefit of doing your own printing is the ability to select some fantastic papers. When I hand someone a print on heavy mat paper like epson cold press bright or something like exibition fiber or legacy baryta that is a heavy, stiffer photo paper, they immediately realize this isn't some costco/walgreens print. Also, the epson printers have an advanced black and white setting allowing the printer to control the print and it does a spectacular job with black and white. Combine that with a wonderful dmax, the deepness of blacks and the brighter papers, the result is fantastic. With 9 to 11 inks, the color prints are stunning. With the new inks and papers, the prints have a 200 year life.

Jeff, I am recommending a brand and type of printer, not the specific printer since I am recommending a larger size. But, the point is this 4 yr old printer is still running strong. OP can decide if he wants to continue with Epson and what size fits his needs. I believe a 17" would cover a good portion of the printing most folks do. Epson has them in the sub 1k range. No more expensive than a decent lens.

I use a cheapo HP combo I got at a mid-night madness at Wal-Mart for $35.00. Been using it for a couple of years. I had a high dollar Canon photo printer that ate ink cartridges and was only marginally better than the cheapo HP.

I'm like you, if I really need something done well, I send it out to AdoramaPix. I just got an 11x14 of my avatar done on metal tone paper mounted on a nice thick foam board. $20 including shipping and it knocks your eyes out.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back