Nikon Lense WTB 70-300 or 40-800

badrano

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had a 70-300mm Tamron lens that bit the bullet. Some metal ring broke off inside and because it is such an old lens (~15yrs old), I was told it's not repairable since there are no spare parts available.

So be it. I've been wanting to upgrade the lens anyway and get an internal focusing lens or at least a lens where the barrel doesn't rotate. The barrel would rotate on my old one which makes it hard to use a CPL.

I've been mainly using the 70-300 for airshows, but since I got the D7000, I've been trying to get into more wild life and such.

I've looked at just getting a new 70-300 but I'm also looking at the 80-400 because there have been times at airshows where I could have used the extra 100mm.

Looking at Nikon's line up, I see two 80-400 lenses and based on the price difference, I'm assuming the more expensive lens is better, but I'm not if I would need to have the more expensive lens or should I attempt to future proof the purchase by getting the more expensive lens.

Lens #1 is VR, ED, A-M. 17 elements, 11 groups, 3 ED elements. ~$1300
Nikon | Imaging Products | AF VR Zoom-Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED (5.0x)

Lens #2 is VR, SWM, N, ED, M/A, A/M IF. 20 elements, 12 groups, 4 ED elements and 1 super ED element. ~$2300
Nikon | Imaging Products | AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR

Is it worth the extra $1k to get lens #2 and have SWM, the various Auto/Man focus modes? Lens #1 doesn't say IF, but B&H description says that lens barrel does not rotate in AF.

Any suggestions, comments would be grateful.

Thanks,
Omar

Most reactions

Back