Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My boyfriend recently invested in a R1800 Epson large format printer....we were wondering, what is a good place to get decent photo paper?

Staples, Cost-co, (don't you work at Walgreens?)...Wal-mart...etc.

I think the brand of paper is quite important, some are cheap, some are expensive and some work better with certain printers. Maybe try out a few brands & types and then you can track down the best place to get that particular paper.

Wow, nice printer :)

I have only seen one place that stocked 11" x 14" and that was a local shop called "Pro Photo Supply". I did nto look at prices since I dont have anything that can use it.

I have picked up paper at lots of places though trying different brands and looking for really good deals but the obviousl places of course are office supply stores. I have also bought paper at Best Buy, CompUSA and another local chain called Fred Meyers which is something like a walmart.

You can get some Ilford from Sam's club or some Kodak Professional Lustre from Staples. Those are two very good papers we can pick up locally.

A fellow in the printing biz told me once to always try and match the brand of paper with the brand of the printer and use the best they offer. They manufacture the paper and inks to work together for the best possible effect.

Midwest photo excange. I get ink for about 66% of store (CompUSA) price, and Epson paper for about 75% of same. They have also been shipping free all Epson supplies for all orders over $50.00. http://www.mpex.com/ Hope this helps.

I have an epson stylus photo 925. I have tried many different papers with it with varying success. Obviously Epson papers work great but not everyone always has what I need in stock. Kodak paper does not work with my printer. The ink just sets on top of the paper. Ilford paper prints nice but never seems to dry. It will smudge easily even weeks after printing. Compusa paper doesn't work either. To my suprise Staples photo supreme paper works nicely. I have been very happy with the results. They seem to carry many different sizes and qualities of paper as well.

K

You've spent some cash on a very nice printer.... don't skimp out on the ink nor paper. Both are very important in regards to the quality of the final print. Remember, the R1800 uses pigment inks not dye. The paper of your choice should be compatible with pigment inks. The epson ultrachrome inks have good archival qualities but it has to be printed on archival quality paper.

As a safe ( and not too expensive ) option, use the epson papers specifically recommended. I like the Enhanced matte and watercolor epson paper ( I rarely print glossy ). I purchase 8x10's of both at the local compUSA. For larger sizes of the same, I go to a camera shop. The camera shop also stocks a large selection of interesting fine art inkjet papers from Hahnemuhle. A bit more expensive than Epson.

DEFINATELY get epson paper...

With my printer (Epson R310) I got 2 free packs of premium glossy photo paper...

While waiting for my free packs to turn up in the mail, I was printing on normal kodak photo paper, and while the prints were good, they just lacked something.

So this free paper turned up, and I made a couple of prints. and WOW... Really... WOW

I thought they looked just as good as the ones I print at work!

Definately get epson paper.

B&H obviously. I'm always overwhelmed at the selection they have when I go there.

I've tried the brand "Inkpressions" which is inexpensive and they have a line of paper specially made for Ultrachrome inks. I know their matte paper is horrible with dye-based printers.

Lumijet is a pricey brand that B&H carries, I believe it's supposed to be one of the most archival printer papers available. A great paper of theirs which I tried was the "Classic Velour" which is like a hotpress watercolor paper, but with an almost "cotton-like" fabric surface.

Of course the most expensive are the papers which come from the rustic fine-art paper mills i.e. Hahnemuhle, Arches, Legion...

You might also want to look at the "Pro-jet" papers which are the store brand papers of ADORAMA (http://www.adorama.com ). They seem to rival the quality of the more expensive brands. I've only tried "Smooth Silk", but I can tell you it's inexpensive stuff...the pros who come into the store seem to love the brand.

Speaking of the r1800...I WANT ONE!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back