I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK, I've got a new computer, now I need a printer.

I've seen that a cheap ink jet can give quite good results, but I'd like something a little better than the el cheapo ones they sell for $50. I also don't want to spend $500.

I'd like one with multiple color ink cartridges but are those going to cost a lot more to replace?

What about refilling the ink yourself, I've seen the kits but is that a viable option?

What should I know about the different brands? I've heard that Lex-mark has really expensive ink cartridges. And which one is it, that does not have the print head built into the cartriges...so that you have to replace both the cartridges and the print head?

My brand preference is for Canon but that's not set in stone.

Any advise would be appreciated.

I have just bought myself an EPSON Stylus Photo R310 (also called R320).

Got it on ebay for $172.50AU. RRP is apparently $350AU.

It hasn't arrived yet (hopefully tomorrow)... But from what I have read, great photo quality...

Has 6 ink tanks... can print onto cds. And you can hook up an external cd burner and it will burn your photos (plugged into the memory card reader) onto cd.

Has a screen and you can do minor colour adjustments before printing...

Ink cartridges in Australia are $18AU... Or $12AU for generic brand.

Pretty cheap I think...

We ended up getting a Canon Pixma 4200...I haven't tested it yet but it's pretty close to the Pixma MP130 printer/scanner that I bought here at work...but the 4200 should be better.

I use an Epson 2200. The individual ink carts are a must if you intend to print your own color prints. The ink carts can be replaced as they each run dry. I have changed ink carts in the middle of a print numerous times and never can detect a tone or color change in the two print halves. This does save money, a lot of money. The Epson system has a longer print life than anyone of the other print manufacturers and seen to be the choice of most pro's. The smaller printers like the R300 are excellent as well. As far as refilling carts, the bulk ink you buy for refilling is of questionable longevity and you will most likely notice a shift in color despite what the ink manufacturer claims. I have a bulk system on my textile printer, but those systems can be a maintenance headache and a pint of ink will put you in serious sticker shock. They are really only practical for very high volume printers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back