Printing Question

BooBoos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I shoot landscapes and wildlife. I basically shoot with a nikon D-300 and just purchased a Nikon D-700. How large and the photos be made with these cameras. I also purchased a used nikon F5 not to long ago. I may take that out next spring and run it through its paces.Any advise would be greatly appreciated

You should have enough resolution with those cameras to print as large as most people want to, i.e., up to 11x14 (or even 13x19). I've never printed bigger than that, but it should be possible, especially with the D700.

It all depends on the quality and use of the lens, the conditions under which the image was made, the kind of image, the skill of your post processing, the skill of the printer, how close your audience will stand to the picture and your tolerance for unsharpness.

I have shots printed 20" x 30" that look terrific and I have acquaintances who've done 4 x 6 ft for exhibitions with your camera back and all the other things being right.

You can go as large as you want, it's simply a matter of where you find the quality loss to no longer be acceptable. I've always taken the reasonable limit of small format negatives/digital files to be around 11x14. If you think that you're going to make a lot of prints of larger sizes, consider moving up to medium or large format.

I shoot landscapes and wildlife. I basically shoot with a nikon D-300 and just purchased a Nikon D-700. How large and the photos be made with these cameras. I also purchased a used nikon F5 not to long ago. I may take that out next spring and run it through its paces.Any advise would be greatly appreciated
FWIW, it's D300, D700 without the hyphen.

As mentioned, many factors are involved that determine how big a print can be made.

If you wanted, you could print as big as a billboard with either camera. Billboards are usually looked at from a much greater distance than a wall size print.

I recommend you gain an understanding of digital photo resolution, and the wide range of details you will need to attend to to ensure the production of high quality prints, either by you or a good print lab.

Here is a group of very useful tutorials: Tutorials on Color Management & Printing

You might check this page out - it has some suggestions on print size vs. mps in the sensor. How Big Can I Print by Thom Hogan .

Cheers,

WesternGuy

I do not have any specific expierence with the cameras in question, however I have printed up to 32" x 48" with no problems with my Canon T2i/550D. The T2i is an 18 megapixel camera. I do post processing with Photoshop which allows me to upsize the photos using its enlargement options. Without Photoshop my size options would likely be more limited.

With Photoshop I believe I could print much larger without any real degradation to the image. This assumes a good photo to start with that has not been overly cropped. I do my own printing on a Canon IPFPrograf Printer.

Everglades, Big Cypress and Florida Keys Photography www.stephenshelleyphotography.com

Last edited:
With Modern Cameras, you can print to any size that the average consumer would want. If you want higher, it depends on how far the viewer is.

Most reactions

Back