Printing w PS question

domromer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I hardly ever print anything but I need to print a collection for one of my classes.

I sent a print to a local camera store and it was cropped quite a bit as an 8x10. They explained that the dslr format and 8x10 aren't the same "shape"(can't think of the right word) . That to print an 8x10 the original images needs to be cropped.

So after reading a bit of my photoshop book I think I have the cropping figured out. Tell me if this sounds right.

1. Resize the pic to 300dpi and turn off resampling, The photo will shrink to the largest size possible at 300 dpi.

2. turn on the rulers. Usually I think my pics are around 13x7.33 at 300 dpi.

3 Then get the crop tool and drag it out till it is 8x10 then move it around the pic until I get the view I want.

4. crop it, in theroy this is now an 8x10 at 300dpi. SO when I drop it off at the lab this is the end result I should see.

Does this sound about right to you guys?

There are easier ways.

Firstly, you can set the crop tool to confine itself to a certain aspect ratio...8x10 for example. You can also set the resolution to 300 ppi (not dpi).
In fact, the crop tool has a list of common print sizes to choose from. All this in in the top tool bar when you choose the crop tool. Make sure to save this as a copy.

Another easy method would be to open a new canvas and set it to 8x10 @ 300 ppi. Then copy and paste your image onto the new canvas. Move and resize the image to fit how you want it to look...then save your image, ready to print.

Sounds good to me. But mike's way it easier. I would have probably done it your way years ago before I knew about stuff.

Crop to 8x10, and print. That's it. Unless you are upsampling (resolution is less than 300ppi) then don't worry about it. Nothing is gained from downsampling a 500ppi file to 300ppi in preparation to printing.

So:
Crop to the size you want.
Click Image Resize, uncheck reasmple, and select the size you want. If the image is above 300ppi go, if not then check resample and take it up to 300ppi then go.

Ok I'm still having issues.

In the first pics you can see the file size. I should easily be able to print a 7x12 image at 300ppi.

The next image you can see I have set the crop tool to w12xh7.

The final pic you can see I've attempted the crop but I can only crop to 7.5 x11. I don't get it. Why won't it let me crop a 7x12. The image is almost 7.5 x13. uggh I'm confused and I really don't want to screw this print up.

Picture1.png

Picture4.png

Picture5.png

Tis the nature of a DSLR. I have to crop a lot of my shots for print - that's just the way it is. If nothing else, you will learn how to frame much better knowing your final output.

I'm just not getting it. How does cropping to a certain size have anything to do with the size of the censor.?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back