Prints with green Tint

N1kon1k

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey guys recently got asked to display 4 images at a gallery and was asked to print them in Aluminum.

It was my first time ordering them but upon receiving them I found that 3 colored images all have a green tint... also my black and white was under exposed and most shadow detail was gone...

I use Spyder Pro soy monitor is calibrated... o don’t want to blame the company but in fact see if that is something I’m doing wrong to prevent the issue from happening again?

Any help greatly appreciated

Also these prints have been printed in paper by another company and came out great... however not sure if the company color corrected them on their end...

Was this a pro lab or a consumer lab? All pro labs and many consumer labs have profiles that you can download that should allow you to dial in your colour & exposure perfectly.!

Most of these problems are because you're not seeing the image on your screen properly. The computer screen is the most ambiguous viewing platform there is, it shines light directly in your eyes and you will be *staggered* to find our just how much your eye is correcting the colour and brightness when you glance.

Try this experiment: Take the image and open it in Camera Raw or similar and do an auto colour balance. Then switch between the before and after, I bet you see a slight colour cast in the before version.

The absolute colour in your computer is a number, a colorspace co-ordinate such as 125:176:240. It represents a specific colour when viewed under a reference WB. Your screen is calibrated to display that colour as close as possible to the reference, your printer the same. And so both become calibrated to the *reference colour* that is the colour space co-ordinate. Brightness is very important, the brightness of the colour is contained in the colour space co-ordinate and not how you see your screen. So do another experiment, find a bright part of the image and sample the colour. Then open a new document and paint/fill it that colour. I bet it's a lot darker than you expected.

Was this a pro lab or a consumer lab? All pro labs and many consumer labs have profiles that you can download that should allow you to dial in your colour & exposure perfectly.!
This was done by Aluminyze, however when I generally use Adoramapix I never experienced this... also may I add, I had the same file printed by Adorama and no green tint was present.

Unless Adorama corrects these mistakes automatically in which case I need to find maybe a better screen lol

When my 3880 started printing with a (bluish) tint I did a nozzle check and that prompted me to do a cleaning cycle. After cleaning, the tint was gone.

I agonized that I was having a software/profile issue, but, the solution was simple.

My 3880 was only about 3-4 months old when this occurred . . . now I make sure that I do at least one print per week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect it was the printer who messed up. In this day cheap online printing services most of them do not employ knowledgeable people who know how printing works.

FYI, I recently was involved with a client who used an online photo tile company to produce a large number of prints. They couldn't get it right three times, 1st; blown out no contrast, 2nd; muddy with banding and two prints were cyan, 3rd; all of them came back green. I got involved in-between 1st and 2nd attempts and worked on the files so they were in the right colour space and they still messed it up. They were converting the Adobe RGB files to CMYK and the printer had no idea what they were doing.

Going forward, find out if your printer requires an embedded colour profile so you can actually see a soft proof on your calibrated monitor before submitting the files.

Most reactions

Back