Pro Wedding Photogs

bullshark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When you shoot a wedding do you normally shoot using the Manual setting? Or Shutter? or Auto? I dont mean the artistic photos where you have time to manipulate the light a little and work with the party/parties involved to create an artistic effect. Then Manual mode would be used 99% of the time I'm sure. I'm talking about in the reception where there is little time to make adjustments. I find that it is more effecient to just switch to auto instead of fumbling with things trying to capture the moment or an expression. Especially when working with an on camera speedlight of which you would also have to mess with the settings for each shot.

So how do the pro's do it?

Almost positive all manual.
They cant rely on their camera to be making those big decisions for them...

yes, all manual... if they wanted automatically shot images, they could have gotten a friend to do it.. people pay me big bucks to take pictures of their wedding because I make their pictures look better than an auto mode... between lighting and all the functions you can change with manual... I have a friend who shoots weddings too, and shes pretty new, and uses auto... she always gets me to tag along to help her out.. 90% of the time, she ends up using my pics, because her camera on auto doesnt allow for the options (because she still doesnt understand the manual functions)

A while back I would have also said that you should shoot manual. However, when I got the D300 I began shooting in auto as far as the lens. The camera allows 51 point focusing, so I can just change that quicker than manual focus.

I would have to say it depends on your camera. I choose now to use auto because for certain shots you need immediate response. That said, for photos like the first kiss, you need fast focusing so you don't miss the shot.

However, in regards to other settings I use aperture priority. I always alter my iso depending on the light settings, but I then choose which aperture I want and let the camera decide the shutter. So I guess you would have to be more specific if you are meaning manual in regards to lens or in regards to shooting mode.

A while back I would have also said that you should shoot manual. However, when I got the D300 I began shooting in auto as far as the lens. The camera allows 51 point focusing, so I can just change that quicker than manual focus.

I would have to say it depends on your camera. I choose now to use auto because for certain shots you need immediate response. That said, for photos like the first kiss, you need fast focusing so you don't miss the shot.

However, in regards to other settings I use aperture priority. I always alter my iso depending on the light settings, but I then choose which aperture I want and let the camera decide the shutter. So I guess you would have to be more specific if you are meaning manual in regards to lens or in regards to shooting mode.

i'm pretty sure he was asking about shooting mode...but yea i generally use auto focus, because i have bad eyes and i often forget my glasses

Sorry, I was talking about shooting modes. Manual focus, manual speedlight settings, and manual camera settings all at once would prove to be too much to worry about on top of getting that great candid.

Hmmmm, if manual is the case for the candids then I'm afraid I need to get faster.. I know every function on the camera, maybe my instincts just need to be honed a little more.. By the way, I'm working with a D80.. SB800 and an SB600..

Not a pro by any means but I shoot solely in manual mode even for the reception. Actually especially the reception. Once you find that sweet spot between your camera and flash (assuming you have one) you really don't have much to change. Plus, assuming the lighting is quite consistant throughout the night, lets say you accidently underexpose by 1/3 of a stop. Afterwards you go into LR, ACR, whatever program you use, and pull them all up and htey all look identical in terms of lighting. If you are shooting auto your settings will be all over the place - not fun!

Okay, I was wondering that and figured that is what you meant after I already typed most of my last message.

Anyway, the reason I use aperture priority is because I know what each setting does. Allowing the camera to choose the shutter eliminates one step. It's not like I can't use it in manual, but most often letting the camera choose the best setting works better than me choosing it. If I am in a controlled environment, then yes I would choose the shutter as well. With wedding photography it just eliminates one step.

Another thing you could do is bracket with aperture priority. Then you can take a couple quick pictures with different exposures.

I do understand what peanuts says about manual though. However, with weddings I'm in and out, in and out. So I would have to change the manual settings anyway. Plus, I check each image anyway (1000 and up) for each wedding.

Lastly, just because you use one exposure or setting and keep it constant through out the night, doesn't mean it is the proper setting for the picture. A picture of the bride is going to differ from a picture of the groom. One has more black, and other more white. Keeping a constant setting in manual could under or over expose an image.

Lastly, just because you use one exposure or setting and keep it constant through out the night, doesn't mean it is the proper setting for the picture. A picture of the bride is going to differ from a picture of the groom. One has more black, and other more white. Keeping a constant setting in manual could under or over expose an image.

Uhh.. no necessarily true. If they are in the same lighting conditions and you shoot with proper exposure there should be plenty of detail in the groom's suit and the bride's dress and you shouldn't have to change exposure at all. If you are looking only at your incamera meter yes it is going to flip and tell you are either under or overexposing, but if you meter it externally (let's say a handheld meter) it is going to be the same whether it is the groom or bride (unless one of them is radiating light which is highly unlikely ;))

Uhh.. no necessarily true. If they are in the same lighting conditions and you shoot with proper exposure there should be plenty of detail in the groom's suit and the bride's dress and you shouldn't have to change exposure at all. If you are looking only at your incamera meter yes it is going to flip and tell you are either under or overexposing, but if you meter it externally (let's say a handheld meter) it is going to be the same whether it is the groom or bride (unless one of them is radiating light which is highly unlikely ;))

True, I really do understand what you are saying. Whatever works best, but I don't always have the same lighting. Yes, if you are taking a bunch of posed photos, but when you are taking a bunch of candids, action shots, stepping outside, to inside, and into different rooms as I do, each is going to be a different setting.

Like I said I know what you mean, but it also depends on how you shoot. What you are also taking about is basically walking up to someone's face setting the meter (therefore exposure set to face not clothes), walking back and taking the picture. Or in your case you use an external meter. There are many ways of doing it, it just happens for me I choose my way because many photographs can be missed if you are worried about all the settings. Ideally, if lighting is the same everywhere, then yes what you do would work great for me. However, in all my situations I never have the ideal. To many times you have to worry about bridezilla, or bridezilla's mother telling you that you got only two minutes to take photos. We all have our ways of doing it and being time effective, I just mentioned mine as it might be a possibility for others to use.

Maybe I should re-state my question in a different way.. Or ask a completely new question.. What setting do you keep your on camera speed light on? TTL? Manual and adjust spread, power, and compensation for each shot? Something else entirely? I'm real good at manipulating and using OFF CAMERA flash.. But put it on the camera and I'm all messed up..

For instance, scenario from tonight wedding (a friend of mine, I went as a guest)..

Very dimly lit reception room (with a yellow-ish ambient), odd-shaped ceilings as high as the heavens, and no on-flash diffuser available. Nikon D80, w/SB800 mounted to hot shoe... What are your settings looking like?

Normally TTL, then I adjust the + and - for different output.

With me it'll be a bit different. I try to minimize my use of flash at all costs. I'll try to bump the ISO as much as possible to minimize noise, but still try to minimize the flash as much as I can.

To be honest I still haven't got all the kinks out with flash photography.

I'm no pro, but often in difficult lighting and high contrast subjects,believe it or not, sometimes, Manual is the easiest way to go. With Av or other auto/semi auto modes, especially is you focus and recompose, the meter is all over the place, and I know you can use exposure comp, but its just as quick to change the aperture or shutter speed.

I've only shot about 10 weddings so i'm no pro but i've had good luck. I'm just now converting to digital (die hard i know). I almost always carry two cameras and i use an assistant for candids. For the formals manual is the way to go and somewhat for the ceremony. But receptions and so forth which are mostly just candid shots i'd stay auto all the way and get what i could.
I am looking forward to perfecting my digi skills. I bought a D60 kit to play with and a D300. Always have a spare is my motto but i wanted the D60 because everyone said it was good entry level for digi. I travel alot for work and i'm going to be in the north Georgia mountains this week. Can't wait to play.
Wow, i got way off topic.

I've only shot about 10 weddings so i'm no pro but i've had good luck. I'm just now converting to digital (die hard i know). I almost always carry two cameras and i use an assistant for candids. For the formals manual is the way to go and somewhat for the ceremony. But receptions and so forth which are mostly just candid shots i'd stay auto all the way and get what i could.
I am looking forward to perfecting my digi skills. I bought a D60 kit to play with and a D300. Always have a spare is my motto but i wanted the D60 because everyone said it was good entry level for digi. I travel alot for work and i'm going to be in the north Georgia mountains this week. Can't wait to play.
Wow, i got way off topic.

Almost exactly what I do....and the D300 is a great camera too.

Most reactions

Back