Probably a dumb question - Focus

righteous_bucks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm ordering my first slr camera tomorrow, and have been looking around at everyones pictures to get some inspiration. Anyway, I love the macro pictures, so I researched how to take them. I understand how to get the background blurred and all now, my question though is how do you select what you want in focus in these pictures? Like in this picture:

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk237/soncheeboon/grasshopper1.jpg

how did they get it to focus in on the grasshoppers face, instead of the focus going to anything else? Please remember I haven't gotten my camera yet, so I don't have it to experiment with, so that's why I'm asking here! Sorry if this is a dumb question. :confused:

Last edited:
1. Place the AF (auto focus) point in the viewscreen where you want the focus to be. If you put it on the face, that's where it will focus.

or

2. Turn the focus ring on the lens with your thumb and finger till it's focused where you want it.

Note: Images that you didn't personally shoot are not allowed to be posted here. Link to them instead. ;)

Ok thank you :) and sorry about the picture, I didn't know! :guilty:

You're talking about depth of field. It's dependent on a relationship between four items: Distance from the lens to the subject, distance from the subject to the background, aperture on the lens and the length of the lens. The larger the aperture the shorter the DoF. The closer you are to your subject, the shorter the DoF.

For example a 2.8 105mm macro lens as close as it will focus will give a razor thin DoF at 2.8.

I don't feel like quoting from the book, so I'll just recommend you read Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure.

EDIT: If you want to see a cool visual of this effect, follow this link and scroll to the bottom. Above the photo of the ruler, there are different f/stops listed. Mouse-over them and watch the image change.

So I'm ordering my first slr camera tomorrow, and have been looking around at everyones pictures to get some inspiration. Anyway, I love the macro pictures, so I researched how to take them. I understand how to get the background blurred and all now, my question though is how do you select what you want in focus in these pictures?

how did they get it to focus in on the grasshoppers face, instead of the focus going to anything else?
With macro photography you usually focus manually instead of using auto-focus. And if the camera you're using has Live View you can use that to focus with.
Please remember I haven't gotten my camera yet, so I don't have it to experiment with, so that's why I'm asking here!
Which camera are you getting?

Smart guy! I wish I picked that camera :( instead I got the 450D, It is a good camera and all but rubbish ISO Cappabilities
hoping to pick one up sometime in the near future (doing driving lessons first)

you will understand when you get the camera, Honestly it is so simple you will slap yourself!!!

Well... if you have a razor thin DOF E.g. a 180mm Macro lens set to f3.5 (which might be too low tbh,)

I believe with this one I actually used AF. Obviously you need a tripod to get the steady shot.

DSC_0224.jpg

There's a few things you really need to get to shoot good macros.

1st a good macro lens with 1:1 mag. You can get by without a true macro and 1:2 but you won't be able to get as full a picture with something as small as the grasshopper you posted.

2nd a good flash. Not a requirement, but it can really help when you are shooting in the f/11 and smaller range (which you will want to do to get enough DOF).

3rd a good tripod or monopod. Not a requirement either but definitely helpful. If you are shooting bugs, you will probably not have time for this though and will have to work on your handholding technique. If you are using a flash, handholding is a little easier in my opinon.

You might also want to consider getting something to fire your flash wirelessly as off camera flash can make for some nice dramatic lighting.

There's a few things you really need to get to shoot good macros.

1st a good macro lens with 1:1 mag. You can get by without a true macro and 1:2 but you won't be able to get as full a picture with something as small as the grasshopper you posted.

2nd a good flash. Not a requirement, but it can really help when you are shooting in the f/11 and smaller range (which you will want to do to get enough DOF).

3rd a good tripod or monopod. Not a requirement either but definitely helpful. If you are shooting bugs, you will probably not have time for this though and will have to work on your handholding technique. If you are using a flash, handholding is a little easier in my opinon.

You might also want to consider getting something to fire your flash wirelessly as off camera flash can make for some nice dramatic lighting.

It seems like a lot of the big macro guys on the forums use a little mini strobe softbox for their macro stuff, with stunning results. I believe they handhold everything as well.

And for the OP, if you like the look of a thin DOF, look into a 50mm f1.8 prime as well. It's a $100 lens and is an excellent way to start playing with limited DOF.

Here's a couple things you can do with limited DOF at different focal lengths (excuse the utter lack of editing, from my facebook page, lol):

n1662223421_104862_787.jpg

n1662223421_104869_2414.jpg

n1662223421_94456_1964.jpg

The 20D will serve you well. There are a lot of ways to do macro shots. A dedicated macro lens will be the easiest way to go, but there are also extension tubes, lens reverse mounts, bellows, and others.

This photo was taken with a 20D, bellows and a Pentax Takumar 50mm lens. This was greater than 1:1 magnification; It was the smallest walking stick I have ever seen and it was on one of my camera cases, How could I not take a picture of it?!

IMG_4649.jpg

The angle of the shot and the bugs leg make the DOF very deceiving. The surface with the in focus dust is nearly perpendicular to the camera, whitch is why the its furthest forward front leg is OOF(out of focus) but the next leg back is sharp.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back