Problem ID please

Battou

TPF junkie!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo-lucidity.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is one of two things, I just want to find out which.

This image was Taken with a Chinon CS with a nameless flash and here are the results of either my incompetence with a bouncable flash, or my first copal square failure.

210753_017_K200_02_09_2.jpg

Frames both before and after this one on the roll are just fine but this one is only half exposed and it's not the first time I've seen this from this camera.

Any ideas?

Your flash synch speed for your camera is lower then what you shot it at. That's my guess. That or your shutter is stuck

Does the Copal Square have horizontal or vertical curtains?

Your flash synch speed for your camera is lower then what you shot it at. That's my guess. That or your shutter is stuck

No, I am certain I was shooting at synch speed. It synchs at 1/125 and there was no where near enough light even with the flash for faster than that.

horizontal

Was the flash connected via sync cord?

Has this ever happened with a different flash?

horizontal

I got thinking about this after I left today. When I answered I answered for the shutter curtain blades that are horizontal, thus making it a vertical travel shutter.

Was the flash connected via sync cord?

Has this ever happened with a different flash?

Yes is was connected by cord.

As for if it has ever happened with another flash I can't answer that as to my knowledge it's never been shot with any other flash.

Yes is was connected by cord.

The Chinon CS has 2 flash terminals. I would make sure the cord is connected
to the "X" terminal rather than the other flashbulb terminal.

If it was connected properly, I would also try another flash & cord.

The Chinon CS has 2 flash terminals. I would make sure the cord is connected
to the "X" terminal rather than the other flashbulb terminal.

If it was connected properly, I would also try another flash & cord.

Well, this flash unit is a cheap no name unit that I scavenged from an old forgery of a camera, it was not ment for the Chinon. I might have misread your post (I might not have as well) There is only the one way to connect it and that is via cord to the hotshoe.

So this is just an issue with the flash then. From my limited experience with flashes, it seems to me that synch speed errors resulted in half the frame being underexposed, but still exposed. This having been completely unexposed had me worried a bit. I'll just have to learn when it will fire properly as it does for the most part. Given where I accuired and what I payed for the flash unit I am not going to worry about it too much, I just want to find out which one it was, had it been my shutter I dunno what I'da done.

Ok well maybe I do, I just don't want to part with it for a CLA just yet. :lol:

Does your camera look like this one?

cs.jpg

with 2 sync sockets?

cs2.jpg

could the shutter or mirror be sticking?

I had and have A1-P with a similar problem and repair guy said that was the reason

Last edited:
try shooting at 1/60, bet the problem goes away....

Just as a heads up, 10 secs in a google search led to Cosina CS-2 camera manual, instruction on which is clearly stated the X sync speed is 1/60th of a second....Knowing that Cosina uses the same shutters in most of their cameras, not the highest tech, but they work a long time. I learned a long time ago to never assume anything, and if the camera is a little tired or off speed, you may find 1/30 to work better (especially if the first curtain is sticking slightly) Don't feel bad about a low sync speed, after all my F3 only does 1/90 sync.

erie

Last edited:
^ Indeed it does say 1/60 is the sync speed.

Just as a heads up, 10 secs in a google search led to Cosina CS-2 camera manual, instruction on which is clearly stated the X sync speed is 1/60th of a second....Knowing that Cosina uses the same shutters in most of their cameras, not the highest tech, but they work a long time. I learned a long time ago to never assume anything, and if the camera is a little tired or off speed, you may find 1/30 to work better (especially if the first curtain is sticking slightly) Don't feel bad about a low sync speed, after all my F3 only does 1/90 sync.

erie

You are looking at the wrong CS. The Chinon CS camera manual, instruction states 1/125, but it also states Chinon specific flashes. Since it's not a Chinon specific flash I guess I can't go by that entirely, I have not had any issues at 1/60 so, 1/60 it'll be untill I can get a more appropriate flash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back