Problem People

JoseB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I tend to document things I do. Be it church socials, politics, or community. It's great practice and I don't have to have an exacting memory as my photos are better than memory. But I keep coming upon people (all women) who object to having a camera pointed their way. Their exact words are always "Don't take a picture of me, I don't want my picture taken". This has happened to me 4 times and always with women of a certain race. And it's not like they are ugly or beautiful.

Anyway this cramps my photo styles because now I have to work around these people when documenting the event. I hate being restricted. All of these events were indoors. For outside events I still won't take their photo but can cite public domain laws.

What to do with these types of people?
Jose

Jose

I can't tell YOU what to do, but I can tell you what *I* do:

Respect their wishes and find something/someone else to shoot.

And yes, in some situations, where they are out in public, you have every RIGHT to take their photo.
But I tend to believe that the right of others to be treated with honor and respect is more important than my "right" to take a photo.

By the way: Sometimes, if you pay them a sincere compliment (not something that is clearly meant to try to flatter them), and/or explain what you're doing, and what your intent for the photos are, you might find that at least one or two of those hesitant subjects will acquiesce.

I've done events and usually have had to work around something, kids running around, people ducking in front of me and saying excuse me, the guys carrying cotton candy, etc. etc.

Move around, change your vantage point. Hang out and watch for a minute til people stop looking at you and go back to what they were doing. It seems like they're noticing you and your camera and I think it's somewhat natural for that to be awkward. And nowadays I think people may have an understandable concern about what you're doing and where their pictures may end up.

If people don't want to be bothered, I'd leave them be and go find another subject. Where I live it's allowed to take pictures in public but why not just go find someone else? I don't think you're going to get worthwhile photos if the subjects are uncomfortable. What are you going to do with lots of pictures of people you don't know anyway? Find something interesting happening to photograph and people may be part of the scene or you may find an opportunity to get some interesting pictures of someone while you're there. If not, find what else is there, the scenery? interesting buildings? to photograph and enjoy.

Have you tried getting a few yards distance?
Or use a (preferably small) monopod to lift the camera above most peoples heads. If it's not pointed right at them, they may not notice.
I used that "tactic" on a few occasions, lifting the camera up, tilting it and zooming down diagonally to avoid being too far from people.
Worked fine.

Max

I tend to document things I do. Be it church socials, politics, or community. It's great practice and I don't have to have an exacting memory as my photos are better than memory. But I keep coming upon people (all women) who object to having a camera pointed their way. Their exact words are always "Don't take a picture of me, I don't want my picture taken". This has happened to me 4 times and always with women of a certain race. And it's not like they are ugly or beautiful.

Anyway this cramps my photo styles because now I have to work around these people when documenting the event. I hate being restricted. All of these events were indoors. For outside events I still won't take their photo but can cite public domain laws.

Jose

What to do?

Learn the meaning of "NO".

Then learn the meaning of "STOP!"

And cease playing the put out photographer.

Next, try a little conditioned response. You've been told "NO" by women of, as you say, a certain race. It's time to realize you are invading their privacy and avoid the issue completely.

If you really want someone's photo, learn to ask permission first. And to walk away if it is not granted.

You would first have to have a style before anyone can cramp it.

I am quite new to all this, but....... if I am at an "event" and the people attending say they do not want their picture taken, I assure them I will not.
In "public".....I usually let the camera do the asking. I shoot manual, film. My presence is usually known and their reaction is all I need. If they turn away, or act put out, I just move on and, if they are approachable, try to tell them no frame was taken.
SOMETIMES that will lead to small talk that eases any concerns they may have had about who I am and why I had a camera pointed at them.
good luck

1. If they don't want to be photographed, don't photograph them.

2. They are not a problem because they don't want to be photographed.

I'm sorry it "cramps your style" but it never hurts to be respectful when someone asks you not to take their picture. At an event I'm sure there are plenty of other things to photograph and bigger things in life to worry about.

If you're taking photos because you want to, then you should understand when someone doesn't want their picture taken. There are times and circumstances where I can see taking photos no matter what but just as part of your personal blog isn't one of those times.

Jose

If you were to decide to walk into an intersection and attempt to manage traffic flow because you decided that you had the inherent right to do that, you wouldn't be surprised if drivers ignored you - or even got a little irritated.
I get the distinct impression that you think that having a camera and wanting to 'document things' gives some some license and authority to do something.
No, doesn't.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back