problem: shutter fires when winding

panocho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My Nikon FM (which I hardly use, but have as an occasional backup) has recently developed an issue: after releasing the shutter, when I wind it automatically shoots the shutter again. Obviously I have to wind again, and sometimes it even shoots for a second time. The result is that most of the times I get two exposures when I just wanted one (the second one being completely useless, of course, since I am normally pointing the camera nowhere), or even three. Sometimes, though, it just works fine.
Any idea of what could be wrong here and how to (easily) fix it?

Sounds as though you have grit (or something) between the shutter button and the housing around it. Start with a can of 'caned' air. I don't know about introducing chemicals into the thing but after asking around and not being directed otherwise put a few drops of lighter fluid there and then blowing it out with the canned air if the air alone didn't work. Followed by 1 maybe 2 drops if a very light machine oil applied with a sowing needle. (dip the needle into the oil and apply the single drop that will stay on the point of it).

Better yet, send it in for a TLC. ;)

mike

Why not just remove the motor drive and cycle it by hand?

:shock: Sorry if I was not clear enough with my explanation, but I have no motor drive in the FM and always cycle it by hand. That's precisely where the problem is.

Sounds as though you have grit (or something) between the shutter button and the housing around it. Start with a can of 'caned' air. I don't know about introducing chemicals into the thing but after asking around and not being directed otherwise put a few drops of lighter fluid there and then blowing it out with the canned air if the air alone didn't work. Followed by 1 maybe 2 drops if a very light machine oil applied with a sowing needle. (dip the needle into the oil and apply the single drop that will stay on the point of it).

Better yet, send it in for a TLC. ;)

mike

thanks for the ideas. :D

I'll probably try something one of these days...

Hi, I don't have your camera but whenever I have a problem with mine I always go to a great tech support site that help me deal with my troubleshooting support issues.
If you don't find your camera, just go to the free live chat support and one of the expert will help you!

Here is the page for Nikon Cameras support

Good luck

Jogy

Hi, I don't have your camera but whenever I have a problem with mine I always go to a great tech support site that help me deal with my troubleshooting support issues.
If you don't find your camera, just go to the free live chat support and one of the expert will help you!

Here is the page for Nikon Cameras support

Good luck

Jogy

thanks for the link. I'll try that!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back