Problem with auto focus

lillybug0820

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I own a Canon Rebel T1i and I'm in need of some serious help. I'm sure most of you have already heard this question a million times, but I'm totally lost. Basically my auto focus is screwed up. When I zoom in the picture through the viewfinder and the actual shot is blurry. Furthermore, it won't take pictures sometimes (especially in the auto setting) and it gets really frustrating sometimes when you want to get that cute shot of your child smiling. So all in all my basic problem is the camera doesn't focus and sometimes gets stuck. The lens setting is in AF and I already cleaned the lens. I would really appreciate some advise on this problem, because if you can't help me I'll have to ship it to Canon :grumpy:

if its in AF it should AF, sounds broken. can you focus it manually?

Welcome to the forum.

The first thing to check, is the diopter. (little dial by the eye piece). Make sure that the little rectangles are sharp when looking through the viewfinder.

The next thing is to rule out motion blur. What shutter speeds are you using? (can you show us some examples of these supposedly out of focus shots?)

What modes are you using? What exposure mode? What Auto focus mode? What Drive mode? Are you using the multi-AF points or a single point?

Does this problem happen in bright light, or just in darker situations?

How close is your subject when the AF doesn't work?

97% of the time, an issue like this is due to user error...so lets try to diagnose the problem before sending the camera to Canon.

Welcome to the forum.

The first thing to check, is the diopter. (little dial by the eye piece). Make sure that the little rectangles are sharp when looking through the viewfinder.

The next thing is to rule out motion blur. What shutter speeds are you using? (can you show us some examples of these supposedly out of focus shots?)

What modes are you using? What exposure mode? What Auto focus mode? What Drive mode? Are you using the multi-AF points or a single point?

Does this problem happen in bright light, or just in darker situations?

How close is your subject when the AF doesn't work?

97% of the time, an issue like this is due to user error...so lets try to diagnose the problem before sending the camera to Canon.

This is my question too. What lens are you using as well. It doesn't sound like your AF is broken you just more then likely are too close and have it set so that the camera physically won't take the picture if its not in focus. I don't know anything about Cannons but I'm pretty sure you can change that however your pictures won't be in focus if you do. If you put on manual focus does it work or is the picture blurry?

Take some shots you normally would and post them for us.

Auto focus can be set to focus priority or shutter priority. Focus priority is usually the default.

When focus priority is set the shutter will not release until focus hads been achieved.

When shutter priority is set the shutter will release regardless the photo being in or out of focus.

There are are at least 2 auto focus modes available to you. Single focus, used for stationary subjects, and Continuous focus, used for moving subjects.

I suspect your problem is mostly user error because you are not familiar with your cameras functions.

I recommend you re-visit pages 64-67 of your T1i users manual, and re-read the focus FAQ's on page 45, page 50 (Shooting moving subjects), page 115 (difficult focusing situations), page 192 (When auto focus fails), and page 187 (AS-assist beam).

I changed it from AF to MF and the camera does not get stuck anymore like it does in the AF mode.

I'm still really new to the whole dlsr camera so any tips are highly appreciated.

I took one picture just using automatic, another in P mode with shutter speed of 5.3 and ISO 800. The camera does make a sound like it is trying to focus but it is more quiet than usual, like something is not right with it.

I do agree with most of you guys that it is probably just an error and I can't figure it out, because I'm not familiar with the camera yet. Thanks for everyone's great responses and patience with me;)

@ Big Mike

The objects are usually further away and I'm trying to zoom in on them. I checked the dipoter and it is definitely sharp. I tried pictures inside and outside and I get the exact same results (light doesn't seem to be the issue).

I'm going to guess you are shooting indoors in low light with the kit lens, it's having trouble focusing because of the light and your shutter speed is too slow to stop motion blur or shutter speed is too slow for focal length

Looks like motion blur. Both shots used a shutter speed of 1/6 sec. Try taking the shot again, but place the camera on a table or chair or something that does not shake. You should get better results.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back