Problem with mirror

akazoly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Nikon D40X DSLR camera. I clean the CCD without problems using Eclipse E2 and Swab Type 2. The sensor is clean.. Im very happy.

But I have a problem.. I see some dust on camera mirror (the mirror with focusing squres), I try remove the dust with blower, but not help me... I gently touch the mirror with fibre clotch (this clotch is for lens cleaning, is very good quality).. Now I see a black hair on mirror. This tell me the mirror is scratched? Is impossible for me to remove this hair, or something exist before the mirror ? Is possible ?

Please tell me this is a very big problem ? My camera is good for trash ? :(

I have had this happen to me. I don't think it's scratch. just try cleaning it more, making sure nothing is on your cloth. I had a piece of dust on mine that wouldn't come off and i cleaned it with a cloth and it looked like a hair but it wouldn't come off a little more rubbing and wallah!!! clean mirror that I thought was ruined!

I have two black hair, one smaller and one bigger :) A strange thing... One is removed with blower, Now I think the second is not scratch but is welded on mirror. I try to buy after 5-6 weeks some cleaning fluid from VisibleDust.

There is no need to clean the mirror. Anything you see on the mirror is only seen through the viewfinder, and does not affect the image. The mirror assembly is pretty flimsy and can be easily damaged. If you do damage it, it's going to be a pricey fix.

the mirror replace is more expensive than CCD?

With mirror cleaning the camera lost the focus ability ?

Is this visible in the viewfinder? Dust on the mirror is not usually visible in the viewfinder because the surface of the mirror is not in focus. Unless there is a lot of it, it shouldn't affect any camera functions.

Dust on the screen is visible and in focus, of course, but it usually isn't important. You can remove the screen of a D40x quite easily, but it needs very careful handling. Let me know if you want instructions.

Best,
Helen

Is possible to remove the focus screen ? I need more details. Thank you!

Most reactions

Back