problem with my camera-can't stop flash

Bobby Ironsights

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi;

I've read the instructions all the way through, three times, but I still cannot figure out how to get my camera to stop using the integral flash unit.

I hate the way it makes my pictures look. I've tried just adding a grotesque amount of light with a 500w halogen in the background, but it often still uses the flash.

I'm using 200 iso fuji.

I'm not ready to take it full manual, but
What I really want, is for the camera to calculate an exposure time long enough without using the flash.

I use a Canon Elan II, 28-80mm USM.

This is driving me to distraction.:playball:

thanks for any help any of you can offer me.

I'm not sure about this, but if you are using it set to the green square, try "P" instead.

I guessing that you are using the camera in full auto (green box) mode?

From what I have seen, on all or most EOS cameras...the flash won't pop up on it's own when you are in the 'creative zone' modes...which are Av, Tv, M and I think P.

If you use the full auto mode...the camera tries to think for you...but of course it's just a brainless camera and can't think at all.

[edit]...Matt beat me to it :playball: :D

Yup, that was it, I was also using the other auto modes like portrait and whatnot.

I really should have asked you guys first, then I'd have wasted alot less film.

I haven't used green box or even the 'picture' modes in years (if at all)...you can do all the same things with Av, Tv, M and P.

Glad you figured it out.

MUCH BETTER!
Contrastcat-flash_phixr.jpg

contrastcat-noflash_phixr.jpg

(note, I use a forty dollar scanner, but the second print actually looks quite nice in the hand)

Well done! The second photo is definitely a huge improvement.

Nice camera, by the way. I still have access to a Canon EOS Elan IIe that I used for a couple of years. I took a lot of great photos with that camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back