problem with NEF RAW

wgp1987

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i wanted to check out some photos i took at work with the nikon d5000 and photoshop wont recognize the files. what can i do? is there a download for it or am i doin something wrong?

What version of Photoshop? I know older versions of Photoshop like CS3 don't support newer Canon's like the 5D Mark II. You have to buy CS4.

Update your Camera RAW plugin to the newest version that your version of Photoshop allows. If your PS is compatible with the ACR v5.x plugings (PS/CS4) then thats all you need to do. If you are using an older version of PS that only works with the v2.x (PS/CS), v3.x (PS/CS2), or v4.x (PS/CS3) then it won't read the newest NEF files, like those from your D5000, directly. You have two choices:

1. Upgrade you PS to CS4
2. Download and use the newest version of Adobe's free DNG Converter.

The DNG Converter is a standalone application that leverages an inbuilt version of Camera RAW to translate your RAW/NEF files into RAW/DNG files. The DNG versions are still RAW files and will open in the older versions of PS back to PS/CS (provided it has ACR v2.2 or higher, v2.4 recommended).

The DNG Converter has a batch mode so you can convert a whole folder of files in a single operation.

do you think ill have a problem if i have a bootleg version? i have cs3

do you think ill have a problem if i have a bootleg version? i have cs3
And that's one of the reasons why Photoshop costs so much for those of us who pay for it.

Congrats, you just got promoted to the ignore list.

actually that has nothing to do with the reason why it's expensive. however it's pretty stupid to admit to pirating software.

wtf? my friend put it on my computer. he had original discs but he only gave me photoshop ... nothing else from adobe. if he paid for it there is no crime? sorry for wording it that way. to me its bootleg tho lol

if he paid for it there is no crime?

I'm sure Adobe's Licensing Agreement would say otherwise. And it still is a bootlegged copy, since it's being distributed to users who have not paid for it. Don't you work in a camera store? I would hope somebody that is even remotely affiliated with the photography industry would have better judgement than to rip off the company making one of the most productive tools available for photographers.

And in response to itznfb, it does have some effect on the pricing. If users have the ability to get the product for free, how does Adobe make money on it? They have to put money into the product for development and distribution so the end price would account for the fact that people are stealing the program rather than paying for it. That's not to say that Adobe charges a lot just because people steal it, but it's certainly not helping make the product any less expensive right?

People complain about features (or lack thereof) when they get a good price, and they complain about the price when they want good features. Go figure...

just run the adobe update and get the newest drivers. in the update pack there will be the new camera RAW which will recognize .nef files from nikon cameras

if he paid for it there is no crime?

I'm sure Adobe's Licensing Agreement would say otherwise. And it still is a bootlegged copy, since it's being distributed to users who have not paid for it. Don't you work in a camera store? I would hope somebody that is even remotely affiliated with the photography industry would have better judgement than to rip off the company making one of the most productive tools available for photographers.

And in response to itznfb, it does have some effect on the pricing. If users have the ability to get the product for free, how does Adobe make money on it? They have to put money into the product for development and distribution so the end price would account for the fact that people are stealing the program rather than paying for it. That's not to say that Adobe charges a lot just because people steal it, but it's certainly not helping make the product any less expensive right?

People complain about features (or lack thereof) when they get a good price, and they complain about the price when they want good features. Go figure...

im sorry you didnt get a free copy? actually he just gave me the pc discs because he baught cs4 for mac. saweeet!

Most reactions

Back