Problem with pixels?

heymickey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I've started running into some problems with my photos where there are spots with rather visible pixels - this happens especially in highlights on images. I've only really noticed this happening in the last couple of months. I attempted to find an unedited photo where I could try and show an area where this is happening so hopefully this will give you an idea of what I am talking about (the problem appears even stronger on the web).

Is this something I can fix with the settings on my camera, better lighting, etc. or is there something wrong with the camera itself?

Thank you for you help!!

4507817757_1855cbfd4f_o.png

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about, but it could just be noise. If the pictures were taken at a high ISO then they will end up noisy/grainy. That picture definitely has a noticeable amount of noise but I can't see what settings it was taken with.

Pixel peeping can cause you to chase problems that aren't probems.

If you are shooting JPEG.

The JPEG image format converts the image sensor pixels into 8 pixel x 8 pixel squares.

You are likely seeing the edges of those squares, not the actual pixels.

Look closely in the brickwork and you can see the edges of the JPEG 8x8 pixel squares in this image.

flandrau_observatory1webcopy.jpg

Last edited:
This is the information from that photo - device make: canon, device model, canon eos digital rebel xt, focal length 55, alpha channel 0, red eye 1, fnumber 5.6, exposure time 1/60

I believe the photo I grabbed for the example was one that was just a quick shot using the automatic settings in low lighting so it was definitely a bit grainy. I've had this issue with other photos though, but it has only happened recently which is why I was thrown off by it showing up in sections of my photos.

Most reactions

Back