Problem with the focusing screen

panocho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I finally decided to purchase a split image focusing screen for my Nikon D200. I use some MF lenses and focusing is quite a problem without the split image help -well, at least for me.

The problem this post is about is the following: I first took the "old" screen off, no problem there, but when I went back to the camera to put the new one in, a little thin metal frame suddenly appeared. I don't mean the clip that is used to keep the screen in place, but rather a loose frame that is obviously supposed to somehow protect or, at least, rest properly the screen in its place. And here is the problem: since I did not notice at all that frame when disassembling (??), I just don't know whether it is supposed to go in between the pentaprism and the screen (back the screen), or in between the screen and the metal clip that keeps the screen in its place (front the screen, from the mirror's or lense's point of view, if you know what I mean).

Any idea how it goes? I would like to mount everything properly.

I blieve #2. In between the screen and the metal clip that keeps the screen in its place. I took my D200 apart once about a year ago, and I believe that I recall it being like that.

The shims sit between the focusing screen and the pentaprism, not on the retention clip.

Thanks a lot Garbz. That's how I finally did it. First, it somehow made more sense to me, but then I simply thought: hey, if you did not notice it at all when you first took the screen off, that's obviously because it was behind it, not in front of it. And it just "appeared" while you were paying attention to the screen, and not inside.

Anyway, your confirmation makes me feel more relaxed. Thanks!

Take your largest DOF lens and photograph something on a steep angle to confirm your camera's AF agrees with the screen, and both agree with the image. The first time I did it the screen wasn't seated perfectly.

And the time I adjusted it I put a scratch in it :mad:

Most reactions

Back