problems

topcatz200

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi everyone, well i think im thick as one minute my photos look too me fairly good, then next minute they look crap. now i have tryed different lenses ................. maybe thats the prob. now im not really understanding the apertyure thing .. i know that a 1.2 and a f22 will give you out of focus in background and in focus but when i try that with another lens it goes bad ! ! i just dont understand all the ins and out of it ! , im getting VERY VERY angry with myself as i thought that i was getting the hang of it. i put the iso up as and when i need to ... but alas the same darkness. im sorry that i sound stupid but thats what this is doing to me. !! i own a nikon d300. i have a 70mm-300 mm lens which i only use for sport action.......... whch i use a shutter speed of 1200 or there about, which works fine .. the others i have ie 50mm, 18mm-70mm, just dont want to work, ...................i know its me as i dont know how to use them in aperture or shutter speed. all i know is that i need help before i throw the bloody lenses to the wall !!! thankyou for any help, and sorry if i sound thick !!!!!! lol many thanks guys x

dismindo due remy las brembos matraq. nos tu blemo das l nembro uswtgb glos hoy...........dresmond gar natey ha bla due mentio suz vecotr blah. nos tu gladzn ploty bah humbug as tu problemo el stupido vato.
sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem............. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur............. at vero eos et accusamus et iusto odio dignissimos ducimus qui blanditiis praesentium voluptatum deleniti atque corrupti quos dolores et quas molestias excepturi sint occaecati cupiditate non provident, similique sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollitia animi, id est laborum et dolorum fuga............ et harum quidem rerum facilis est et expedita distinctio. Nam libero tempore, cum soluta nobis est eligendi optio cumque nihil impedit quo minus id quod maxime placeat facere possimus, omnis voluptas assumenda est, omnis dolor repellendus. Temporibus autem quibusdam et aut officiis debitis aut rerum necessitatibus saepe eveniet ut et voluptates repudiandae sint et molestiae non recusandae. Itaque earum rerum hic tenetur a sapiente delectus, ut aut reiciendis voluptatibus maiores alias consequatur aut perferendis doloribus asperiores repellat. sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt............ neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem................ ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur.
comprendo ha?

Darn it, Keith! People charge serious money for advice like that. Stop giving it away.

Nice Latin, Keith. Where did you pull that passage from?

You have any pictures we can see?

hi everyone, well i think im thick as one minute my photos look too me fairly good, then next minute they look crap. now i have tryed different lenses ................. maybe thats the prob. now im not really understanding the apertyure thing .. i know that a 1.2 and a f22 will give you out of focus in background and in focus but when i try that with another lens it goes bad ! ! i just dont understand all the ins and out of it ! , im getting VERY VERY angry with myself as i thought that i was getting the hang of it. i put the iso up as and when i need to ... but alas the same darkness. im sorry that i sound stupid but thats what this is doing to me. !! i own a nikon d300. i have a 70mm-300 mm lens which i only use for sport action.......... whch i use a shutter speed of 1200 or there about, which works fine .. the others i have ie 50mm, 18mm-70mm, just dont want to work, ...................i know its me as i dont know how to use them in aperture or shutter speed. all i know is that i need help before i throw the bloody lenses to the wall !!! thankyou for any help, and sorry if i sound thick !!!!!! lol many thanks guys x

The 70-300 and 18-70 lenses are both variable aperture lenses. So as you zoom in closer the aperture automatically gets smaller. So the shutter speed you are using may not be the correct speed based upon what aperture you lens might be shrinking to. Post some pictures with exif data so we can actually see what is happening. Dont throw you lens into the wall. Even a cheap lens can be sold for few bucks.

hi gsgary, umm no, how do i do that ?

topcatz i think what gsgary was trying to say was that you should put some more effort into the spelling and grammar and formatting of your posts if you want people to give useful replies otherwise we cant be bothered it becomes too much like work to try to decode your question

thanks for the info, but havent got a clue what you said sorry. x

topcatz i think what gsgary was trying to say was that you should put some more effort into the spelling and grammar and formatting of your posts if you want people to give useful replies otherwise we cant be bothered it becomes too much like work to try to decode your question

I was being serious for a change, and wondered if topcatz knew how to use the cameras meter to get proper exposure

topcatz, try to understand that decreasing the length of time the shutter remains open for, by one stop, halves the amount of light reaching sensor. increasing by a stop doubles it. increasing the size of the hole light travels through, a lower aperture number, by one stop also doubles the amount of light traveling to the sensor.
1/250 @ f11 =
1/500 @ f8
1/125 @ f16

exposure triangle
exposure_triangle_copyright_lrg.jpg

Some basic things that you might think about:

Google exposure triangle, it's very important to understand this.

Check out your local library or book shop for some books about photography.

Read the camera manual. I also have a Nikon and realise that it's on a CD but you can print a copy. You should certainly print the parts relevant to the problems you're having.

Don't blame the camera or lenses because they only do what they're told.

You really should post some of your photos because you'll get a lot of good advice on this forum if you do.

If you are new to photography of this type (the aperture thing and such), perhaps you should set the auto program for a while and then check out the exif info to see what the camera is doing that you aren't; then you can slowly move on to the P, A and, eventually, M modes.

Do not try to run before you can walk and enjoy learning what is a fascinating art and science. Yes, I think photography is a blend of both and it won't come overnight!

Oh, and keep your chin up!

EDIT: Redeyejedi has posted a nice diagram explaining the exposure triangle whilst I was writing my post. But read up about it anyway, it really is the most important thing you need to understand when getting started.

fantastic advice! thanks everyone x

Most reactions

New Topics

Back