Processing film?

XxTheZombiezxX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think this belongs here because it's not directly about self processing. So, I started using film in May. I justed used Walgreen's 1-hour photo while learning. Because I wasn't gonna go to a professional lab till I knew I could control the camera. Well, I've got my different ISOs down. My shutter speed figured out, and my apature figured out. So it's time to move up and stop going to the cheap place. The problem is. Their are so many ways to do this.

I have ILFORD HP-5 Plus 400 iso
Ilford HP-5 Plus 400 Fast B/W Film, 120 Size 1629017

Which I'll be using for portraits. I found a few friends that'd like to volunteer their time.

And Fujifilm 200, 400, 800 iso

FujiFilm ISO 200 35mm Color Print Film - 24 Exposures, 4 Pack: Digital Cameras : Walmart.com
Fujifilm Superia X-TRA ISO 400 35mm Color Film - 24 Exposures, 4 Pack: Digital Cameras : Walmart.com
FUJI 800SP/4PK: Digital Cameras : Walmart.com

Mostly for unexpected shoots. Walks around town. Stuff that doesn't involved planned out ideas with someone modeling for me.

The thing is...
I do know fuji is c41 and 1-hour photos will take them. Its what i used to do. But, I got a scanner that only does 600dpi, and I feel between the 1-hour photos and my crappy scanner. My pictures are not what they were when I first took the picture. Plus, this is my first time with ilford. I have a feeling 400 might be much for most lighting situations during the day, outside. But, I'll learn from my mistakes.

So... back on topic now that we covered all that. I hear of so many ways to go about this.
-DIY film processing
I hear this a lot cheaper then going to someone else. If I did this. I would do Process the film. And scan it. Because the prints seems like its the expensive part of home labs.

-Process(Negs only.)
When I send my film in, I hear negs only is good. Because I can scan them to my computer, and pick out the ones I like. I also hear negs and cd is smart but apparently .jpg is worse then .tiff and .tiff cost more at most places I've looked at so far.

-Process(negs, prints)
Its what I was doing before, but going to a professional would probably cost more. And a waste for images I don't like.

So, in your opinion. What is the smartest way to go about processing film? Where do you go to get your film processed? Can you recommend a place or two to me? I really hope you guys are more reasonable then the other forum I was on earlier. They were pretty brutal and acted like I should know this. :/ But like i told them. We were all new once, and we all had to ask someone else for advice. That just made them even more mad.
OH! Flickr: Wesley Graham's Photostream My flickr. Pictures are not that great because of my not so great dell scanner/printer. But you gotta work with what you got right?

DIY film processing
I hear this a lot cheaper then going to someone else. If I did this. I would do Process the film. And scan it. Because the prints seems like its the expensive part of home labs.
Do yourself a favor and stop thinking this way. Own b&w films development is not done because of the cost, but because it is the only way to do it right. For C-41 and E-6 there is not much of a wiggle room. Pro labs are much better in keeping the parameters steady and constant, once you adjast your exposure to development of given lab, you will be fine. B&w film has infinite ways of combination of exposure / development. No lab can anticipate this. There is also chance, that you will discover how much fun is in processing own film.

Oh, sorry if I made it soley sound like I was focusing on the money part. I wanted to learn how to do it myself. Cut out the middle man and be in full control to an extent of the photograph. I just know it's less expensive then letting someone else handle your film. Don't know much more about that kind of processing yet. Old saying I learned years ago the hard way. You get what you pay for. You buy cheap things, you get cheap products. You go the extra mile and spend an extra buck. You get better quality products MOST of the time. So, are you suggesting for color Go to a pro lab, but with black and white, I'm better off learning myself? What about scanning the negs? Getting your Negs turned into prints? Also, what do you need to self process? I seen their are some kits out their, but... they seem a bit cheaper then other stuff. I was watching around on youtube to see what most people are doing for DIY processing. Some had cheap kits. Some had things that looked like you'd find them in a professional lab. I think it was ultracolor kits are something like that. It was only $18.00 and they give you 3 different chemicals. But as said. Normally those kits are not as good as buying better name brands that people who know what they're talking about recommend.

Color is much more restrictive. Labs are using computers to control every aspect of the process so they get it done every time the same way. Usually they have equipment calibrated one way so most of them is getting very close results. With b&w people are using different exposure systems so development must be adjusted accordingly and labs can't do that, won't do that. Their work bases on single routine.
Own development may costs you from 9 cents per roll using Beutler developer to 1 dollar with some glycin based chemistry.
Can't help you with the scanning, I just print my stuff in the darkroom. It is there, where I spend most of my monies, but high class digital printing comparable to FB prints will cost you to.

FB printing? Oh I know. That's why I'd only print ones I really like. Or if someone I take a picture of asks if I can get them a printed version. FB prints? So, how much did you pay to where you can make prints right their in your darkroom?

I'd leave the color processing to a pro lab. you can contact Freestyle Photographic Supplies in San Clemente, Calif. and get pre-paid mailers for developing, printing of a contact sheet and pics on cd. They also have a huge variety of color and black and white film in all sizes. the tolerances for temperature alone make it difficult for a beginner to even try color processing at home.

But black and white can be easily developed at home. You don't even need a darkroom: just a changing bag or dark closet to load film onto the reel. You will need a developing tank, reels for the size film you are using, a thermometer, developer, stop bath (not strictly needed), and fixer. hang the neg's up to dry in a dust-free spot and you're done. Now you can scan the neg's into your computer or send them out for prints and enlargements. It's much cheaper to invest in a top-notch negative scanner such as an Epson than it is to outfit an entire darkroom. My darkroom equipment is in boxes and hasn't seen the light of day for 10 or 12 years. When I retire and have more time on my hands I will set up the darkroom again and do the whole process including printing. but for now I can get good results with scanned negs and the computer / printer.

Epson is good? I'd never buy a cheap end neg scanner. It just seems like a waste of money. I was considering a nice flat bed one when I can finally afford it. My next project currently is getting a Nikon D3100. I'm comfortable with film and I enjoy photography a lot. So I kinda feel its time to get a digital added to my collection. After I get my new DSLR I was gonna look into processing myself, and getting a scanner. Because once I get my DSLR i'm only gonna use film cameras for black and gray. I like black and gray much better then color film anyways. :D

Epson is good? I'd never buy a cheap end neg scanner. It just seems like a waste of money. I was considering a nice flat bed one when I can finally afford it. My next project currently is getting a Nikon D3100. I'm comfortable with film and I enjoy photography a lot. So I kinda feel its time to get a digital added to my collection. After I get my new DSLR I was gonna look into processing myself, and getting a scanner. Because once I get my DSLR i'm only gonna use film cameras for black and gray. I like black and gray much better then color film anyways. :D

This one is highly rated and was recommended by the author of a photographic book I was reading. I'll be getting one of these real soon: the author claims that Epson negative scanners and photo printers are some of the best products out there for this type of work.

EPSON Perfection V600 Photo Scanner - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

OH! I've seen this before! Some dude on youtube did a review on it. And how it has it's own software. Where after you upload then negs. You can pick and choose which you like and don't like. I did hear for printing It's better to go to the pros. Because ink is very costly. Their was something else said to me about it, but I just can't remember at the moment. Considering I'm running all over the place trying to get ready. :D 2 of my friends are letting me take pictures of them today. :D

Process mine at home, b+w is easy and super cheap to process (25 cents a roll!)

Color is more of a pain and the savings aren't as great (u still save a lot, but its not virtually free like b+w).

Most reactions

Back