Product Photography (jewelry) ideas needed

gossamer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I have an opportunity to get involved with a local jewelry company and do their website product shots. I'm a relative novice, but have done some product work in the past. I have a D500 with a 24-70mm f/2.8 ED VR and would like to get a 105mm macro. I also have two XPLOR 600s with Glow Parapop 38" octoboxes.

I have a light tent that I used in the past with some pet products for a local pet shop, but I don't have the lexan jewelry display cases and other supporting hardware needed for something like this.

Do you have any specific recommendations on what you've found works best? This shoot will involve necklaces, rings, and bracelets.

Also, the jewelry store is quite small, so I'm not even sure my octoboxes are going to work and the light tent might also be too large.

What is the best way to display this type of jewelry for pictures? Maybe you have some examples of shots you've taken?

Anyone up for the challenge of describing to me what I need to get started?

Jewelry is a rather demanding item to photograph. Metal that is unlit goes black, watch crystals reflect light in obstruction of the details of the watch face, colored stones may be difficult to render best against the metal, and so on. Among the most popular methods is to use a tent which is essentially diffused light from all directions. This minimizes shadows and maximizes detail. In addition to this, photographers prefer to shoot through a hole in a large black panel, so reflections of the camera aren’t evident on the face of the product.

In addition to that, sterile renditions of jewelry might be technically flawless but lacking in allure that motivates someone to buy. Digital imaging provides a lot of possibilities to add or otherwise alter an image for creating something more exciting. Imagine a beautiful diamond engagement ring against a backdrop of a rose.

There's an old pro trick: get the largest styrofoam cup you can. Open the small end and fit it over the end of the camera. Instant ight tent.

I don't know if you can still get an extra large styrofoam cup, but copier paper should work the same but you might have to replace it after one or two shots.

just for kicks, (and to test out some new macro gear) i put some of my wife's jewelry in my light tent and took some shots.
not pro work, but I also didnt do anything fancy with it. it does however, show what a simple LED light-box and macro setup can do in a pinch.
my 16 inch lightbox (used for these) isnt even lit on all sides...its just two LED strips on the top. certainly not an ideal setup.
with some proper equipment designed for actual product photography, im sure a much better end result could be reached.

emerald ring 14k gold with diamond accents by pixmedic, on Flickr

russian chrome diopside ring 10k white gold by pixmedic, on Flickr

mens sapphire ring 14k gold by pixmedic, on Flickr

garnet ring by pixmedic, on Flickr

Thanks so much for your help. Ideally I'm looking to do something like this:

http://ptevara.in/upload/PRODUCTdetailpagemb02.jpg

I'm looking for recommendations on the staging gear that can be used to most appropriately display the necklaces, earrings and bracelets for the picture. I have a light tent (it's probably too big, but it's a start), but am looking for ideas of what can be used to support the jewelry in the tent and provide a suitable backdrop of some kind inside of the tent.

Many have pointed me to display stores used by jewelry shops, but I don't want the artifacts of those displays to be shown in the picture.

If you are looking for an idea for suspending a necklaces, use a white 8x10/11x14 matte that is in a photo frame. Stand the matte with the cutout face the camera with some A-clamps. Hang the necklaces over the matte(holding with small a-clamps) so the charm hangs evenly in the middle of the matte opening.

I'd recommend developing skills and practicing (a lot) first, then take on specific photography work. This seems to be going about it backwards. The questions being asked seem to be things you should know already before taking on doing work for someone else. It doesn't sound like you have the necessary equipment yet, much less have practiced with it to be able to go into a business and set up and do this.

With all of the recommendation of Vintagesnaps, I suggest a bit of post processing would help a lot.

I have done some jewelry product photography and it really depends what you are photographing.

I did earrings and hung them from fishing wire.. then a lot of post processing for example.. but again, really depends!

Most reactions

Back