Product photography (second try).

Emanuel M

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is something I am beginning to like more and more.
But i dont have the right equipment - so I use home made stuff.
Like the light box made of paper :p
This is only my second attempt, but i can't seem to get over the reflections.
It's harder than I thought.

https://flic.kr/p/BL5UBM

I guess I'll buy a proper light box, two bulbs and I'll begin to shoot with the tripod.

Cheers

Is this in a full enclosed box with 4 walls and a slot for your camera?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is pretty darn good. I normally think of a watch straight up and down rather than on its side, but either way, I think you did a good job.

You're doing better than when I first tried doing this.
But when I zoom in I don't really see tack sharpness. This could be due to your 1/80 shutter speed. You may want to go a bit faster since it seems you are hand holding it. Adding a sturdy tripod and remote release will definitely help too.

i can't seem to get over the reflections.I guess I'll buy a proper light box, two bulbs and I'll begin to shoot with the tripod.
Reflections are difficult. I think the pros will take the reflections off in post.

I am certainly not an expert, but it seems to me that you're on the right track.

You can see the need for two lights, and you might want to move them more toward the front. Also, make the opening for your camera small so when you need to take the reflections out, you will be doing it with a small area.

do you have a lens with a longer focal length? Shooting something like a watch with a 35mm lens is always going to create issues with reflections, especially when you're hand holding the camera. A longer focal length will have a much narrower angle of view, resulting in much smaller ranger from which reflections are an issue. Done right there shouldn't be any unwanted reflections to deal with. The primary issue normally is getting good light on the bezel without hazing the crystal, while also getting good reflections off of any chrome/polished lettering on the face.

Thank you all for the feed ;)

Is this in a full enclosed box with 4 walls and a slot for your camera?
No, just a 3 wall with A4 standard paper :p

I think this is pretty darn good. I normally think of a watch straight up and down rather than on its side, but either way, I think you did a good job.
Thanks mate ;)
I was going to do it straight, but I wanted to try like this...

You're doing better than when I first tried doing this.
But when I zoom in I don't really see tack sharpness. This could be due to your 1/80 shutter speed. You may want to go a bit faster since it seems you are hand holding it. Adding a sturdy tripod and remote release will definitely help too.
Thanks, did you see it on Flickr? It looks very sharp to me.
It was on my D3000, image quality would be better on the D5300 (that was charging :p).

i can't seem to get over the reflections.I guess I'll buy a proper light box, two bulbs and I'll begin to shoot with the tripod.
Reflections are difficult. I think the pros will take the reflections off in post.

I am certainly not an expert, but it seems to me that you're on the right track.

You can see the need for two lights, and you might want to move them more toward the front. Also, make the opening for your camera small so when you need to take the reflections out, you will be doing it with a small area.
Yes, I am going to experiment all those things :)

do you have a lens with a longer focal length? Shooting something like a watch with a 35mm lens is always going to create issues with reflections, especially when you're hand holding the camera. A longer focal length will have a much narrower angle of view, resulting in much smaller ranger from which reflections are an issue. Done right there shouldn't be any unwanted reflections to deal with. The primary issue normally is getting good light on the bezel without hazing the crystal, while also getting good reflections off of any chrome/polished lettering on the face.
Yes, last one I did was with the 70-200mm f/4

https://flic.kr/p/BpHBYV

But I wanted to try different lenses to see the results...
Going to try next with the 70-200 + the homemade lightbox ;)

Cheers

it does look sharper on flickr.
could have just been my eyes. They are not a steady focus .. PITA at times.

Try adding either a reflector or flag in front of the watch to fill the bezel. Right now your bezel is reflecting the set. I can also see your figure reflected in the face of the watch. Tripod time! :lol:

Be mindful of the positioning of the watch hands as well. The traditional positioning is 10:10. This is so you can frame the brand logo/name which is usually at the top, or frame whatever element is there. If that positioning can't be used you should still be mindful to not have watch hands covering primary design details in the face.

The secret to removing reflection is a Circular Polarizer filter, yes you will lose a little bit of light but it will work. Also make sure you are wearing dark clothes.
Next a "proper" light box is not going to make the reflection go away, or always make your photos better. Quit a few photographers use diy stuff to make the right thing to shape the light for the right look. Need more contrast, next most watch photos are shot with the hands pointing at 10 and 2 to frame the logo and the second hand is not blocking anything this is called pulling the crown(the little wheel on the side to set the time, stops the hands). For sure get a nice tripod, next shot with mirror lockup.

I have a polarizer filter here :p
Going to try it ;)

I have a polarizer filter here :p
Going to try it ;)
be careful of some cheap filters, they can actually decrease clarity and add other artifacts. Take a photo with and without it and compare.

It's a Hoya, but I didn't notice any diference :(

I am guessing you rotated the filter, right while looking through the lens? With all your lights on?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back