Professional Lenses for High Fashion

What aperture do you shoot at most frequently? Do you really need 2.8?

Don't forget that there's more to focal length than just the field of view. Once you get shorter than 50, you start getting distortion effects that will make your models look larger than they are. Fashion photography generally loks a lot better with longer focal lengths. That being said, the best solution for you may be to get the 5d kit with the 24-105 and a couple of fast primes. The canom 85 1.8 is an excellent, inexpensive lens, and that would probably also leave room in your budget for a 35 1.4 (if not, the 35 f2 IS or sigma 34 ART would do). That would make a really nice set of lenses that will give you professional level results. Down the road you may want to add a 70-200 and 24-70 2.8, but those other lenses would still play a role in your kit.

Thank you for this advice, I think that shorter than what I have now would be nice because what I have now at this distance can be annoying. Im now thinking that upgrading the lenses and keeping one lens with longer focal length might be a good idea also.
I've got savings for my upgrade but I want to make sure that I dont requrie another upgrade for a few years at least because my gear will be good enough :)

Also, I have another question again! (sorry!)

I've visited my example photographer (above) website and she has a picture of her camera and lens that she uses, does anyone know what gear she is using? I just saw and was curious :))

http://www11.pic-upload.de/23.12.14/n1prraw2goj.png
Hasselblad; I think an H4D and 80mm 2.8, but I'm not 100% sure. In other words about $10-12,000 in gear.

I'm fairly confident it's a Hasselblad. I can't see it well enough to determine which model. But to Tirediron's point... these are _very_ expensive cameras.
Thanks, yes I think it is now also.

They are expensive but I want to shoot indoor+outdoor so right now this price does not justify with this camera, as I keep reading it is a little slow to focus and not amazing outside - mainly for studios. So, with this in mind I need to save money and spend on a camera that will do good inside and outside. :)

Also, I have another question again! (sorry!)

I've visited my example photographer (above) website and she has a picture of her camera and lens that she uses, does anyone know what gear she is using? I just saw and was curious :))

http://www11.pic-upload.de/23.12.14/n1prraw2goj.png
Hasselblad; I think an H4D and 80mm 2.8, but I'm not 100% sure. In other words about $10-12,000 in gear.

I'm fairly confident it's a Hasselblad. I can't see it well enough to determine which model. But to Tirediron's point... these are _very_ expensive cameras.
Thanks, yes I think it is now also.

They are expensive but I want to shoot indoor+outdoor so right now this price does not justify with this camera, as I keep reading it is a little slow to focus and not amazing outside - mainly for studios. So, with this in mind I need to save money and spend on a camera that will do good inside and outside. :)

I keep meaning to write this, but leave it out. If you want to focus on fashion, you REALLY need to get some lights while you're at it. They are far more important to this type off photography than your lenses. At the very least, get a couple of reflectors so you can control the natural light you're shootin in.

I keep meaning to write this, but leave it out. If you want to focus on fashion, you REALLY need to get some lights while you're at it. They are far more important to this type off photography than your lenses. At the very least, get a couple of reflectors so you can control the natural light you're shootin in.

Thank you so much for this advice. Yes, I have one reflector at the moment but I've been considering some good lighting equipment too. At the moment I need to replace my camera body (1st priority since my current camera leaves many images unfocused and grainy), then new lenses (current ones are really hard and slow to use, I'm manually adjusting every setting I can on all my photos - good practice I guess!) and try to squeeze in flash and some lights! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back