"professional" quality?

uberegg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been shooting for a long time now with a nikon d50 and have really gotten some amazing shots. However, I want to start really making a leap to a level where I can get a photography job. Here is my problem: I do not want to start a discussion on megapixels, but my camera is 6 mp and I do not feel the quality is good enough to put together a portfolio. I love to make my prints 10x20, it is my favorite size. But I am not satisfied with the quality at this size and i feel as though it is not good enough for a portfolio. BUT, i love the camera so I thought that i would just upgrade to a d80 for a little higher resolution. Is this adequate? I am using good glass so all i want is a new body. I just get discouraged shooting now because I want every good shot I take to be immortalized and i do not feel as though the quality of my camera can keep up with the quality of my shots. Is the d80 a good budget move? Iknow this question has been asked lot but i cannot find much in the way of what camera i should buy to take semi-pro looking prints! Thanks a ton for any info and sorry my post is so long!

What is it specifically in the print quality that you do not feel is good enough? Just out of interest. If you are upgrading anyway, why not throw in a bit extra and go for a D300 so you get extra functionality in your camera along with better IQ?

unless you are heavily cropping... or heavily post processing I don't think you will find much(in any) difference on 10x20 prints with a 6 meg camera.

this is kinda debatable... but megapixels don't make your images.... your images make their images...

megapixels will give you more latitude in crop/processing but I wouldn't let the lack of megapixels hold you back from creative imagery...

i'm certainly no expert... but a folio of 10x20's seems a little large... i use 8x10's but this is up to the individual...

the D80 is a great camera and is pretty affordable right now... with it you get more latitude... but don't expect it to change how your prints look.. you are the captain of that ship...

You say you are using 'good glass'...so let us know what you are using. Top quality lenses can certainly make a difference over 'consumer grade' lenses.

Also, there are techniques for maximizing quality, which become especially important when making enlargements. For example, are you using a good sturdy tripod and using a remote release and using mirror lock up? Are you shooting at optimum apertures?

Last edited:
You say you are using 'good glass'...so let us know that you are using. Top quality lenses can certainly make a difference over 'consumer grade' lenses.

Also, there are techniques for maximizing quality, which become especially important when making enlargements. For example, are you using a good sturdy tripod and using a remote release and using mirror lock up? Are you shooting at optimum apertures?

These are good points too... you should also really share what type of professional photography you plan on doing....

you can pull off professional looking landscapes with an ordinary lens stopped down on a tripod with the mirror up... but it's a lot harder to pull of professional looking images at a wedding with slow glass and an older camera body that is useless at high ISOs.

I took a photo with my compact digital camera (Canon Powershot), which has 5 mp, and made an enlargement of 50cm x 70cm (roughly 20x30), and it was crisp and free from any pixelation and all. It is possible...

I find a huge increase in IQ by shooting at f8 . If I want a huge print and use a canon L zoom its f8 for best result.

ideally, professional printing is at 300dpi; however, you do not need that resolution, especially for larger prints that will be viewed from a few feet away.

Yeah... the d80 would be a good "budget upgrade," however you may also want to consider a d200; they cost about $750 used.

The d200 won't take higher quality photos then the d80, but it has MUCH more backwards lens compatibility, and has a more "pro" build quality.

You are definately the captain of your ship so the camera does not make the photo. It certainly can help though. As other posters mentioned you can work wonders with a tripod on an older camera and lens, however if you are trying to get at something in low light or moving, it helps to be able to take print quality shots at 3600 ISO.

There is software that can help you if you're don't want to spend a lot on a new camera. OnOne's Geniune Fractals can increase the size of a photo to make it larger and crisper, but it won't work miracles, the photo still needs to be blur free and sharp. Just my $.02.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back