Profoto Softlight Reflectors - your experience?

C_Brec

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hello everyone,

I usually don't need / don't work with softlight a lot. I use to rent softboxes whenever I need to. Since I started to like it a lot but a Softbox is not very good for outdoors use, I'm looking for the Softlight Reflector.

How's your experience with Softlight Reflector. How's the white compared to the silver one and do you use diffuser or grid?

Does anyone of you have "sample" shots somewhere online?

Thanks very much!

I don't quite know what you're talking about. Are you talking about large round reflectors with silver / white / gold coatings on them which reflect light and are used to fill in shadows outdoors?

Or the actual product like Huge's Softlight Reflector which is a flash attachment much like a white bounce card to mount on the top of speedlights and flash guns to increase the area of the light source and provide a softer flash?

I'm talking about the products by Profoto called softlight reflectors

I just made this thread. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128691 It's kinda relevant. :D

Size and position matter allot. The bigger the surface the flatter (softer) the lighting - with proximity (for both source-to-screen and screen-to-subject) considered of course. I dunno how much color would matter or not for digital. I guess none at all unless they also have different translucent/reflective properties other than color. Also look up the DIY Ring Flash thread here.

Almost all pros (who I know) after being into it awhile tell me just to make my own reflectors and translucent refractor panels. For multi-colored lighting usually a gel is used on the spot - I didn't read much about colored materials and etc. Likewise I know nothing about the kinds of grids I saw on their site and never heard of them being used by anyone I know or follow. <shrug>

Thanks Bifurcator!
I'll check it out

thanks to all for your answers.

I'm new to this forum. What's it with all the DIY?

What about renting the stuff to try it out, rather then spending loads of time building it and shooting under unstable conditions?

Sure! Why not? It's all good. Rent and try is a great way to get a handle on stuff. DIY is for people who want to do that - because of money or learning experience, product availability, sometimes DIY is higher quality, or just whatever.

With reflector and translucent panels in particular you're paying allot for zero gain. I understand buying frames and clamps to "look" more professional in a studio tho but other than that... Of course it boils down to how much your time is worth.

Most reactions

Back