Prop Of Ythsie, Aberdeenshire

Baldieheidit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Dear all

here are some shots I took today at the Prop Of Ythsie, a weird tower thing! All variations of the same theme. Al comments welcome:

POY4_IR.jpg

POY3_IR.jpg

POY2_IR.jpg

POY1.jpg

ta

Nick

1st one get my vote!

Not been over the east of Scotland for many years, but as I'm planning of holidaying up there this year I might have to have a look at that place

Lord of the Rings? ahaha

That thing is really neat. Scotland, you say? Maybe I'll go soon...gotta love open invitations....

I like the first one too! And also the colored version. Very rich colors there. :) What was this tower used for?

An inscription indicates that the Prop was built by the tenants of Haddo estate in memory of George Gordon, 4th Earl of Aberdeen who made a great number of improvements to Haddo House, the estate and the quality of life of his tenants. It was built in 1840 or something. There is a cool spiral staircase that goes right to the top where you can see the countryside. I met an old couple there today who told me that a cow went up the steps 40 odd years ago and couldn't get down so the farmer shot it and tossed it over the edge........ a lovely wee story.

Curiosity killed the cow! Pre-tenderized too.. Funny story and nice shoot. (pun not intended).

-S

Most reactions

Back