proper night exposure

ntexascardfan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I'm going out tonight for my first try at night photography. I'm going to be shooting on a walking bridge that is lit with street lamps about 20 feet over the bridge with water underneath that may also reflect some light.

What are some tips or recommendations for getting good exposure with detail in dark settings?

Tripod!

I had a good experience shootingmy housing estate first time under similar conditions, 30 second exposure, for which a tripod (and self timer or shutter release, dont forget the eye cover) was useful.

Tripod!

I had a good experience shootingmy housing estate first time under similar conditions, 30 second exposure, for which a tripod (and self timer or shutter release, dont forget the eye cover) was useful.

what he said ^^^

TRIPOD! also, if you are doing long exposure, use low ISO and long exposure noise reduction (feature offered on most cameras)

another thing... turn off vibration reduction and use a remote (timer if you don't have a remote)

these tips should produce nice sharp images.

I've never used Long Exposure Noise Reduction. Not saying it's not needed, but I've shot LOTS of pictures (30 seconds plus). Just remember if you take a picture and it takes 2 minutes, add 2 more minutes for the Noise Reduction photo to take place. My suggestion would be to play around with both options and see which one works best for you.

I shoot night shots with and without noise reduction and I don't see a lot of difference.

Anyhow, Tripod, remote cable switch, 20-30sec exposure times. Also, keep an eye out for flaring. I always check a sample photo using the LCD screen during my night time shoots.

When the subject isn't moving and the camera isn't moving... you can keep the shutter open as long as you need.

Just make sure the camera is not moving (which is why someone invented the tripod.)

Read the link in my sig. LOTS of tips there with examples.

One I took just now

Auto ISO, 18mm lens, 30s shutter priority giving f/5 on the 18-55 lens . Could have gone with a higher shutter speed though, i reackon. Using a £5 minipod and 2s self timer.

Came out really well on my 1100D, no IS or noise reduction, there was wind and it was *very* dark to my eyes.

$small.JPG

No post-processing, thats just a smaller version of the JPG from the card (RAW could be improved a lot)

Good luck!

One I took just now

Auto ISO, 18mm lens, 30s shutter priority giving f/5 on the 18-55 lens . Could have gone with a higher shutter speed though, i reackon. Using a £5 minipod and 2s self timer.

Came out really well on my 1100D, no IS or noise reduction, there was wind and it was *very* dark to my eyes.

No post-processing, thats just a smaller version of the JPG from the card (RAW could be improved a lot)

Good luck!

looks blurry...?

Awesome, thanks for all the tips everyone and thank you for the guide Manaheim.

We are going to go out shortly and I'll post some of my results in the gallery section for you all to CC :)

I never really found a cable release or mirror lock up for long exposure low light photos to be necessary. (I still use them, and do it though.)

Point is, you don't need to do this.
The light it so low, that nothing will show up in the exposure in the milliseconds of exposure after pressing the shutter button.

Tripod, turn off vibration reduction, low ISO, and a sharp aperture of you lens and you're golden.

I never really found a cable release or mirror lock up for long exposure low light photos to be necessary. (I still use them, and do it though.)

Point is, you don't need to do this.
The light it so low, that nothing will show up in the exposure in the milliseconds of exposure after pressing the shutter button.

Tripod, turn off vibration reduction, low ISO, and a sharp aperture of you lens and you're golden.

It absolutely does have an effect in the finer details of the shot. AND you can always just use a self timer. It's a little more annoying, but it works. There's no benefit to not taking advantage of tools at your disposal.

Okay, perform an experiment.

Take the same photo at something like 1/100. And show me the light exposed in the image.

My guess, is it'll be completely black.

So your point is that if you don't expose enough light to the sensor that you won't get an image?

If I'm missing your point, my apologies... I'm just not getting this at all.

Thank you for all the thoughtful responses. Here's a copy of one of the pictures I took tonight. What are your thoughts?

$night time.jpg

Most reactions

Back