Props in Northern Michigan?

Buckster

In memoriam
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm getting into a specific kind of photography that involves genres and props. Think film noir detective novels, westerns, Native American scenes, etc.

For these projects, I need props. For instance, I'm working up a winter scene of a native American by a fire that requires an old canvas tent, bedroll, snowshoes, an antique-looking broad axe, and a flintlock rifle. There's also a red blanket and a red warm fringed leather coat the native will be wearing, along with natural native-made leather boots.

Some of that stuff I can easily get, borrow or fake, but not all of it. The flintlock rifle in particular is proving difficult to find as a rental prop. I could buy one for a couple hundred bucks, but it's for a one time shoot, and I'd rather not have to deal with buying it outright, using it for the shoot, then selling it again on eBay or something, if I could get away with it.

I've got lots of other prop rental needs as well, so I'm looking for a place in Northern Michigan that I can go to, or a place wherever that will ship to Northern Michigan without charging me so much that I might as well be buying these props outright and then selling them after the shoot.

So, anybody got any idea on where I can find a prop house to deal with, given the WAY out in the boonies location problem I've got?

I suspect there are very few flintlocks in 'da U.P.', so I'd try to 'fake it'.

Find someone with a rifle or even a 20 ga shotgun and have them pose with that, obscuring the firing mechanism. Then, if needed, Photoshop in (part of) a flintlock mechanism and perhaps 'age' the rifle as well.

I suspect there are very few flintlocks in 'da U.P.', so I'd try to 'fake it'.

Find someone with a rifle or even a 20 ga shotgun and have them pose with that, obscuring the firing mechanism. Then, if needed, Photoshop in (part of) a flintlock mechanism and perhaps 'age' the rifle as well.
Thanks, but that wouldn't have worked for the scene I'm creating. No matter anyway - I've since found a flintlock rifle replica to use. :thumbup::)

How about just using a broom handle and photoshopping the gun in later? It would be cheaper that way. :wink: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

How about just using a broom handle and photoshopping the gun in later? It would be cheaper that way. :wink: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
The light and shadow of a thing actually in place always turns out better unless I have the thing to PS into place at some point and can shoot it myself and light it to match. If I don't have access to the piece, it would prove much more difficult to work into the scene, and I'd still have to get it somewhere as a stock photo, which probably means paying for it (I'm like that).

That said, besides the issues of lighting the object for the scene, I'd really just prefer to shoot the scene with all the period props and everything in place, during an actual sunset (or sunrise), at the actual location, featuring an actual fire, and an actual person in period costume, if at all possible, so that there's just no question about the realism of the piece. In these particular shots I'm planning, I'd prefer to use PS to enhance the color and light of what's shot, rather than to make a collage of its parts. If I MUST PS something in later, I'm not against it (I'm no purist on the issue, by any means), but I'd just rather not if I can help it.

I really don't mind putting a little money into it either, especially if it will help the realism, and especially since I've already got at least one ongoing sales outlet for copies of this particular piece when completed. I can always sell the props on eBay later, if need be, and get most, if not all, of the money back for whatever I had to buy to pull it off. It's an extra step pita, but I can live with it.

Go and have a talk with your local theater group. They have access to a lot of sources for props.

They're also a fun bunch to be around. ;)
That sounds like a winner, and I've actually taken a step in that direction by friending a local actor who's part of that group.

Are there any hunting clubs in your area? The members may be a good source for various firearms, knives, bows & arrows, etc.

Are there any hunting clubs in your area? The members may be a good source for various firearms, knives, bows & arrows, etc.
Oh yeah, we GOT hunting clubs! This is hunter's heaven up here! LOL! I've got a LOT of family up here too, and they're ALL hunters that have a wealth of that kind of stuff and belong to clubs and all that jazz. None of them seem to have a flintlock rifle though - no blackpowder shooters (some said they used to, but lost interest and sold their blackpowder stuff).

That's a good idea on extending my search/reach to the clubs, and I'll look into it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back