PS 7.0 tutorials

Ghoste

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm just starting to use Photoshop since I am just starting to shoot photography. I'm using 7.0 until I can get with a man I met who is a close friend of someone in my family. He is going to let me use his PS CS. So I can't wait for that =) But since I am just starting I am finding this very confusing. Can anyone show me where I can get a great tutorial and teach me some basics for 7.0? Thanks alot in advance.

There's not much difference between 7.0 and CS, so don't get your hopes up. There's probably more photoshop tutorial websites online than any other kind of website, except maybe pr0n.

Just go to google and type "Photoshop tutorials", and watch what happens.

You can always buy a book also. Type Adobe Photoshop into Amazon.com's search and you'll get a huge list.

Ghoste said:
I'm just starting to use Photoshop since I am just starting to shoot photography. I'm using 7.0 until I can get with a man I met who is a close friend of someone in my family. He is going to let me use his PS CS. So I can't wait for that =) But since I am just starting I am finding this very confusing. Can anyone show me where I can get a great tutorial and teach me some basics for 7.0? Thanks alot in advance.

When you say hes going to let you use his ps cs, I assume you mean pirate it? :0)

Finding good tutorials online that are free can be tough. If thier not well written it could be hard to understand what they mean for you to do.

If you have a college near by you could take a ps class or two. The intro to ps usually covers all the features of ps so you know how to use them. And once you get an understanding of the layers, selections, quick masks, masks, paths, etc, the program isnt that complicated anymore. And if your signed up in a college class, you should be able to buy the academic version of photoshop that is half the price of the retail version, which can be used for commercial purposes either right away or after you finish the class, I forget what adobe's website says about that.

Another choice would be checking out the ps section in a bookstore or library, and theres' dvd's out as well, but the cost of the dvd's, after a few of them you could have paid for the college class. :0)

I'd be careful with educational software. Every instance I've heard of is that you can't upgrade it later and that you aren't supposed to use it for commercial purposes.

If you're caught, it can fall under the same laws as piracy--something to do with the misuse or lack of legitimate license.

You should take a course though. I knew I could learn what I needed from a book, but the experience I gained from my instructor made the course invaluable.

I checked with adobe's website, and it says that the only academic thing about the software is the price, after that, its exactly the same as the commercial program.

From Adobe's website.

http://www.adobe.com/support/salesdocs/1002268.html

Upgrades

You may purchase upgrades for educational versions of Adobe software, but the upgrades are not available at educational discounts. Educational products may, however, qualify for post-announce upgrade pricing.

There are no restrictions on the use of educational product versions for commercial purposes, and educational customers may continue to purchase regular upgrades upon completion of their studies. However, customers must first qualify to purchase edcational versions of Adobe products.

I also think taking a course is the best method. However, it's not always the most convenient. I found some of the CD roms and DVD's were very helpful. Have a look at the CD and DVD tutorials on this site www.Designsbymark.com and see what you think

One bad thing about the academic version is, what ever you created using this version, you can not sell. Thats why it is so cheap.

Hope this helps

friendlyphoto, check the link I gave. You can make money off of what ever you create using the academic version of photoshop. It was also confirmed in the forums by somone that seemed to be a rep of adobe, and on another page.

Ive seen the academic version of cs and no where does it say academic.

According to the forum and the rep for adobe, they use to make you buy the full retail or upgrade, but have since changed thier terms of service to allow students to keep using the software, even for profit. The website has the newest version, wheras the older versions of ps dont have the update.

edit> Just noticed the other day at the college that the splash page does say educational, but its not obvious, which is why I didnt see it till now. But I still believe what adobe's website says about it being good for commercial purposes.

Most reactions

Back