PS Elements 7 camera raw plugin 5.4 won't work

annamaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I am very frustrated hopefully someone can help me out. I have PS Elements 7 and installed the camera raw plugin 5.4 per adobe instructions which I followed to the letter. I still can't open raw files and do not want to use other third party software and use DNG converter which is a hassle. I did contact Adobe and they referred me to the forums which I already posted there as well. They do not have agent support for older versions of Elements.

Here is the error I get: Can't open NEF because it's the wrong type of file.

Thanks

Here is the reply from Adobe, unfortunately not the answer I was hoping for. :-(

I'm afraid that there is no camera plugin that you can install for pse 7 that will read the nikon D5100 files, since pse 7 can only use up to camera raw 5.6 and your camera requires at least camera raw 6.4, which is not compatible with pse 7.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1030798

So, the dng converter is your best free alternative.

You can always upgrade to photoshop elements 12, which will open those files without having to use the dng converter.

For the D5100 you need at least Camera Raw 6.4, which IIRC also requires Photoshop Elements 10 or higher. Camera Raw plug-in | Supported cameras The current release of Elements is Elements 12 which uses Camera Raw 8.x.

In other words I would need to upgrade to PSE 10 which I can't afford. Is that what you meant ?

Yes. But, you can go to Adobe.com and download their free DNG converter and convert the D5100 .NEF files to .DNG and open them in PsE 7.

I have used it but don't like it. Maybe I am not using it correctly, but if converts a whole folder as opposed to having the option to do just one file.

You are using a camera that is 5 years newer then then software you want to use it with. As others have said the version of camera raw needed for your camera is NOT compatible with your old software. I recommend you upgrade your software.

You are using a camera that is 5 years newer then then software you want to use it with. As others have said the version of camera raw needed for your camera is NOT compatible with your old software. I recommend you upgrade your software.

Thanks Guru for your replies much appreciated.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back