PseudoHDR from single JPEGs

This is a pretty nice software you made. yeah its not HDR but it sure enhances pictures greatly.

I'm just curious. How did you go ahead and make this software? what did you have to do to make it.

@Mulewings - in theory you can do HDR on moving objects but using multiple exposures you get shosting even on small movement like leaves on trees. It's impractical rather than impossible at the moment I think.

@weatherduder, I just downloaded the free version of Visual Basic. Code is relatively simple - load a picture, do some maths on the pixel values and save it again. Didn't cost anything other than some spare time.

@tulsa, This was the original of the Tower of London for reference. The main 'HDR' effect has been to improve the range on the tree and shadows but also at a smaller scale, the range used on the bricks etc. makes the detail stand out more. If nothing else, your comment at least shows I'm on the right track towards a 'natural' looking HDR effect. Although it's not really HDR but shows you can still use the process on an image which is otherwise properly exposed. I'm a bit confused as to why some proper HDR shots use 3 exposures if their middle exposure doesn't contain any clipped shadows or highlights. Surely the extra exposures don't provide any more information other than maybe helping to average out noise.

London1before.JPG
London1.jpg

Maybe it's just me but I think the same effect shown with a single image can be had with a little PP.

Maybe it's just me but I think the same effect shown with a single image can be had with a little PP.

Easily and much quicker. I can add a little tonal contrast and get a nearly identical effect....and I can adjust a lot of aspects of the tonal contrast to get a more specific look as well and it takes about 1/10th of a second per megapixel.

Not trying to tear anybody down, but I don't see the point of trying to make something look like an HDR. I'm the exact opposite.....when I actually do create a HDR from three images, I work fairly hard to make sure that it looks as natural and un-HDRish looking as possible.

That said, you'll find a lot of people who just want that look on everything no matter what and it might be appealing to them (as long as they don't figure out that there's faster ways to do it).

Just a curious note...HDR then truly can only be a stationary object correct?

That is...multiple exposures of a running deer would not work!

A building, flower, plant would...

Mulewings

You can capture moving objects and make and HDR in one of two ways single shot converstion to HDR using the single raw approach.

or if your camera allows you to shoot AEB continous almost like sports mode. Continous would not really work for let's say race cars,or soccer match.

I've read through this post and just wanted to plug my instructional DVD program. It's for the advanced amateur photographer that is just getting into HDR. Renowned outdoor & nature photographer Tony Sweet shows how he captures the series of images and the processing techniques he uses for creating realism, hyper-realism, and the "grunge" look. I have free samples and a gallery of his images.

Check it out at

Master Photo Workshops : Photography DVDs: Photography DVD Catalog

Greg

mind giving us a free look at them? :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back